Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2001 2.5 Limited stalls and won't restart

Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Default 2001 2.5 Limited stalls and won't restart

Hi all hoping someone here has had the same issue and can help.

I have a 2001 (51 plate) 2.5 Limited and it runs fine except for one issue.

It starts fine and will run for 15-20mins (the exact time seems to depend on the outside temp) until the engine starts to get warm then it will stall and won't start until it cools down. Once it's been left for 20mins or so it will start fine again.

If you are driving and hit the "stall temperature" (not sure what else to call it) as long as the engine is being rev'd it will stutter and then carry on. And once you have got past this issue it will run fine.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before and know how to fix it?

It's a shame as I like the car , perfect for moving the family and dog around but it just isn't reliable to use right now..

Thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Default Engine Stalls.

Hi Londonguy,
I'm just learning about these engines at moment and as per other cars this fault relates to the engine crank sensor but I'm not sure if it takes its signal off flywheel, pulley or crank.
But saying that you have got something right on it being a temperature problem as the heat is either effecting the sensor or the wiring to the sensor.
Many cars were and are still plagued with this issue...
Can't be a throttle **** up issue as it refuses to start afterwards.
Goggs...

Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Interesting about the sensor, I will look into that.

What's odd is that if you manage to get it past the stutter, it works fine (for hours and at full engine temp) even if you then stop the engine, it will restart.
It's almost as if as just that one temp (which varies dependant on outside temp, but at a tick over takes about 15mins to reach) something happens which causes a stall and stops the engine starting.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Default Engine Stalls.

Hi Londonguy,
I'm coming up with Camshaft sensor, Hall effect for this engine, sits on left side on cover. Dismiss Crank sensor unless someone knows of one..
Here's some info. You can disconnect mass meter on some engines and engine runs on Camshaft sensor. And if it runs better, Massmeter is, you guessed it.
Check connections at plug, are they nice and tight, as this engine and its electrics suffers from rusty, dirty connections, don't know why. See if you can get a secondhand one to try...
Also check harness to sensor for chaffing etc...
Goggs..