Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Town and Country Electrical shut down while driving, not alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Default Same issues

I am experiencing the same simptoms. My 03 voyager died on my way home. It wouldn't turn the engine over for about 5 minutes, then it finally did. the next morning it started fine and i went to a friends house. Since then it has not started or even turned the motor over. I replaced my starter after that tested bad. the new one however did nothing. I tested the wire that engages the starter and it had no power while trying to start the car. I flipped over the IPM fuse and relay center and the wire that goes down to the starter had no power there either, however the starter relay is cliking on and off as it should. I have power going through the starter relay, but not coming out the plug that leads to the starter.

question is: Could the board inside the IPM Center have gotten fried? Also, i found a 05 T&C in the area and the IPM looks the same, can i just replace it? I know that the BCM that plugs into the front of the IPM is different, and that i have to change that.

thanks for any help, and maybe this helps the OP

Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM

well, the part number on the 05 IPM center was way different so i didn't try it. If anyone has any other ideas on what could be causing this problem, feel free to throw out some ideas. I don't think that my van has the immobilzer due to the fact that i dont think the key has a chip in it. (could be wrong)

Thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 PM

UPDATE ON THIS PROBLEM:

The dealer told me the PCM was bad. The wanted about a grand. I got one for much less, had it flashed and installed it myself. The van now starts and runs perfectly, but is stuck in limp mode, 2nd gear. It now shows codes: 0700, 1768, 1792.

As stated earlier, I had the tranny replaced seveal months ago, could a lack of connection, or software between the tranny and pcm be the problem.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

I dont see any reference to the 1768 1792 codes visit the tranny shop and have then get the codes from the tranny computer itself

Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Where did you get the PCM flashed? Did you have this done before you installed it?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 AM

TNTech: Yes, I got the computer flashed per vin, part number and mileage at the Auto Computer Exchange in Davies Florida: http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/Home

They have sold over 6000 ECMs, PCMs and TCMs.

They tell me that the part is plug and play.

Whats your take?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 AM

Yes if they uploaded the correct software to it. However if you have SKIM it will still have to be programmed to the PCM after install. The two modules have to exchange a secret code.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:15 AM

End Story from author of thread.....TCM bad, oh really!!!???? tHATS IT, ENOUGH OF THE INSANITY.................TRADED IN THE CAR IN..GOT PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR, But pennys on the dollar are better than continued rental cars, no certainty that continued fixes will hold up, endless diagnostic fees, trying to understand the insanity of the Chrysler design........owning a 2001 (inbetween model with many parts only made for that model year).

I am happily driving a Lincoln Town Car!

One note, any of you poor souls that own Chryslers...............dont pay dealer prices for TCM's or ECM's or PCM's. The dealer parts are REMANUFACTURED AND ARE BETWEEN 600 AND $800, PLUS PROGRAMMING (flashing) which can run an additional $80-120. Get them from Auto Computer Exchange in Davies Florida, their prices: 150-200, which includes shipping AND flashing!!!!! They have product on Ebay, or call 954 966-0056. Their Ebay feedback on over 6000 units sold: 99.4% and they offer a full warranty on all parts sold.

ps, the guy at the computer auto exchange said they sell over 100 PCM/TCM units a week, serving all manufacturers.................................AND CHRYSLER IS 98% OF THEIR BUSINESS. LESS THAN 8% OF THE CARS ON THE ROAD ARE CHRYSLERS AND 98% OF THEIR BUSINESS IS CHRYSLER!!!!! Nice!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

that information is wrong the last thing that should be replaced is computer now what they wont tell u if what they sold fixed the issue or not. 9 times out of 10 the guy is guessing because he is not strong in electrical and does not know what to do or knows how to go about checking such an issue so the first thing out of there mouth is put a computer in it.

601 errors are internal PCM failures I see a few of them about 10 a year. Computer issues are caused by one of 2 things some one back probed any put 12volts where it is only suppose to have 5v or 8v and well then u created the issue not the computer was bad. 2nd some one hooked up battery cables wrong or has water in the connector.
Ask any good mechanic with knowledge of the electronics and they will say the same thing. People will throw a computer at it because the wiring system is to complicated for them to understand as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Default wrong info??????

You write more after I sell the car, then while I had it looking for help in the repair. Your main advice so far: Take it to a dealer. Do you think people search the web and browse message boards like this............to be told "take it to the dealer"?

How can you say that information is wrong ............and base that wrongness on your assumption that they are inappropriately throwing computers at the problem??

98% OF THEIR BUSINESS IS CHYSLER. So, Ford, Chevy............GMC, Nissan, Toyota, Honda.................................the people evaluating those cars for problems................why dont these techs evaluating those cars throw computers at the problems?? Wow, how unlucky that the techs evaluating Chryslers make that mistake and no other makes do.

If your point is true, its actually more anti - chrysler than mine is (which is hard)..............your saying the insanity of the design makes it VERY, VERY difficult to evaluate appropriately or accurately. Thats exactly what I am saying, only you said it better. You say they dont understand the electronics of the Chrysler.......your damn right they dont, neither does anyone.............including the Chrysler engineers.

Quick Reply: 2001 Town and Country Electrical shut down while driving, not alternator