Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 CRD On Vegetable Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Default 2002 CRD On Vegetable Oil or Biodiesel

Hi, I was wondering if anyones ever converted a Voyager CRD to run on vegetable oil using a 2 tank system (starts on diesel then switches to oil once warm, switch back to diesel a couple of miles before stopping).

Have been making bio (went to about 50/50 for a couple of tankfuls)but due to keeping it within HMRC limits I'd like to run veg most of the year.

Any immediate or glaringly obvious problems anyone can see?

All help appreciated,

Last edited by Scotsman4th; 01-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Thought I'd ask again to see if anyones twin tanked a 2.5 crd (2001-2005).
To be honest I'd decided not to risk it back in February, I've put bio in it a couple of times since.
I've been thinking about it again recently and am ready to take the chance with the car. 20p a litre is more appealing than the current £1.40 at the pumps.

Just to add, how many fuel pumps are there? I hear a lift pump from the rear when I switch on the ignition, is there any other fuel pumps up at the engine?

Last edited by Scotsman4th; 12-03-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Just an update, thats me 500 miles using 75% biodiesel and 25% pump diesel.
Wouldnt start the other day but thats expected as the bio cleans out the fuel system. Jump start and good rev cleared it, if it happens again I'll change the fuel filter.
I add fuelset to help prevent sludge in the tank (similar to grotamar71).
Lift pump seems quieter, not noticed any difference in fuel economy so far.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Thats the car done 8000 miles on biodiesel now, everything going fine.

Fuel economy's down to around 28-30 MPG (was 33 average) but she needs a service so that might be contributing (+ it's more used for the school run now).

Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scotsman4th
Thats the car done 8000 miles on biodiesel now, everything going fine.

Fuel economy's down to around 28-30 MPG (was 33 average) but she needs a service so that might be contributing (+ it's more used for the school run now).
Congrats ...........

With diesel this month at almost £1.48p [2.36 USD] per litre, you're paying £0.20 GBP [0.32 USD] that's some saving, and hardly a loss on MPG - yes I get, and have got, since day one 32.9MPG [mixed] !

Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Default Congratulation from Me too..

Just had to answer your thread that I find it very interesting as there is very little feedback on people using Veg Oil/Bio Diesel. I take it your buying the raw ingredients from chip shops etc and separating it yourself but per goverment regs your only alowed to make so much.
From what I know on UK vehicles you've got to have a Bosch system, as their seals can handle the Veg Oil.
Anyway hope to here more from you on this site on your system...
Goggs...

Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Meant to reply a while back, but forgot all about it.

Now done 10k miles, all fine.

I get a lot of used cooking oil for free, but have to pay for some. As a private user, I can use 2500 litres per 12 month rolling period.

I sieve it, then heat it to remove water. Add the chemicals, mix, test, add more chemicals, mix/test again then wash and dry if all ok.

The CRD cant run straight veg unless it's adapted, and as you say, a bosch pump should(or more so a lucas pump shouldnt) be used to run straight or blended veg oil.

Fuel economy right now averages 25-26 mpg, but again, it's mainly used for the school run still and can be ticking over to defrost of a morning as well.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
tfb

I've been running cars on SVO/WVO or biodiesel for about 8 years now. Some people have had some success in twin tanking common rail diesels but personally I'd only use bio in them. We use biodiesel in my wife's 2.8

Other than blocked filters, air leaks and one case of the gaskets failing on the injection pump veg oil hasn't killed any of my cars...falling asleep and driving them into a ditch, being side swiped by lorries, chassis rotting through ect is what has done them in.

The pre-common rail 2.5TD voyagers are great on veg oil.

Regards

Richard

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Default CRD on Vegetable Oil.

Hi, I've a 2003 Crd here and like your thread on this issue. Do you's use one of these £1200 blue tanks with pump on top and Chemical. Had a check on internet and one American guy is showing making Biodiesel with only a 50 gal drum and no chemicals. Got to drain the cooking oil into the bottom of the tank he says and waxes etc float to the surface, or is it the bottom.
Ah so is chemical really neaded.
Goggs.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM

My processor was around £650 but it's still considered dangerous as it's a plastic tank, but it does the job.

I use Potassium Hydroxide and methanol to make it.

Would like to built a bigger and better one some day, but just dont have the time right now.

I'd also probably only use biodiesel in my common rail, as the cars not used for far enough distances to justify twin tanking it (start on diesel to heat up then switch over to straight veg oil).

As mentioned by tfb, the older voyager takes straight veg.

Quick Reply: 2002 CRD On Vegetable Oil