Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2003 T/C 3.8 misfire; Out of ideas! Help!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 PM
xdm
Exclamation 2003 T/C 3.8 misfire; Out of ideas! Help!

Howdy guys. I have a 2003 Town and Country Limited, with a 3.8 Liter. A couple of days ago I replaced the back valve cover gasket, because it was leaking oil. To do this, the upper intake manifold had to be taken off - no big deal. With everything torn off, I thought it was a great time to change out spark plugs, since I just turned 113k miles. Again, obviously no biggee. With the gasket and spark plug swap complete, I reassembled the motor. All wiring pigtails and vacuum lines are correctly fastened. Here is the problem. The engine has a miss when it is idling, and if you accelerate any more than 1/4 throttle, it will backfire to high heaven, and gain no speed or rpm's (generally happens around the 2k-3k RPM mark). Only when actively backfiring would the check engine light flash. So I thought, "Huh...", and I changed plug wires. The van seemed to be fixed, so i thought. But driving it home from the garage at my work(where I did the repair), it started backfiring again, but the CEL stayed on! So I thought "YES!", I'll have this sucker read and then I can properly diagnose this! It read Cylinder 6 misfire (P0306 I think). So I pulled the plug on 6 (front right cylinder, easiest one to get to luckily), and the plug looked brand new! Probably because it is brand new...lol. Then, with the engine running, I pulled the wire boot off of cylinder #6. It had a very weak spark - I pretty much had to touch the boot to the exhaust header to get a spark. I pulled the other two front cylinders, and observed hellacious sparks - it was a neat lightning show. So I put the O.E. wire back on the coil and with the engine running, I observed the same, insignifficant spark. So I thought it must be the coil pack! So I replaced the coil pack and ..... same iddy biddy spark... "Eff!"... This is my transportation for the kiddos, and my pregnant wife. It is tremendously important to get this rig back up and running. I can't be the first person to see or experience this, and I'm begging for a helping hand. Please, take the floor!