Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

1998 van transmission problems fresh out of ideas help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Default 1998 van transmission problems fresh out of ideas help please

hey i am working a 1998 plymouth what i think is a voyager or something like a t/c or a caravan... with a 3.8l v6 and a what i think is a 4lte transmission... it's got the solenoid packs on it like it is one... when the owner is coming to a complete stop every once in a while the transmission seems to kick out of drive and go into neutral... i test drove it today and couldnt get it to act up. pulled codes to find if it's a solenoid and something eles no codes relating... only egr flow code... he also said that when he goes to put it from park to drive it sometimes acts up and stays in neutral. he said when it is acting up and the transmission is in neutral he puts it in the 3 selection and it takes off just fine... also i performed a stall test on it and the engine revved up 2000 rpms what is the stall for that vehicle or round abouts, it didnt seem to high. i dont think it's slipping... the trans fluid was just changes along with the filter another possibility, checked it and it's full... i thought maybe it was a engine mount of a misadjusted cable linkage but that all seems good and tight... are there any tsbs and anything that i can check to find out what it could possibly be. if it was an internmintant short or open to one of the solonoids or anything eles to the transmission wouldnt it go into limp home mode and be in 3rd gear... this problem seems unreal but i guess it really is happening could it be inside of the tranny i have been inside of one before and i asked the owner if when he had his fluid changed did anyone say anything about there being anything in the fluid and he said no... idk i would really like to help him out if anyone has an idea i'm fresh out of them thanks