Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 T&C rear A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Default 2003 T&C rear A/C

I recently noticed that when the rear A/C is blowing I can smell PAG OIL from the freon really strong. A few weeks have gone by and I have not ran the rear A/C and the front A/C still blows cold. If the rear A/C is turned on the smell of the oil is really present.

I have read a few posts that the evaporator extension tubes can go bad or the seals on these tubes go bad. Am I able to check for a leak without having to remove the evaporator housing from the vehicle and/or keep from disconnecting the the box from the hoses under the van? Because the smell is so strong I have a suspicion the problem is the evaporator, but I'd like to know if it is the evap or the tubes/seals.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Lon - '03 T&C Limited 180K miles

Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM

Unfortunately ...No.

Both the tubes and evaporator are contained in a "Shroud" of the rear heater case. you may be able to detect a leak, but differentiating the two components is impossible without actually seeing them. the box itself is really not difficult to remove, (I usually leave the heater core attatched to the hoses and leave it in the car when I pull the box out) so the only issue is the freon recharge.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 AM

Djinn,

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to pull it apart and see what's in there. I don't want to order parts I don't need. Its inconvenient to have to return unused parts (especially if you get them On-line).

I had to replace the rear evap on my 1994 T&C back in the day. I figure it can't be that much different.

Any statistics on what fails the most (the extension tubes or the evap)?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:10 PM

Typically , depending on where you live, the road salt in the winter splashes up and wreaks havoc on the extension tubes and under car lines. I live in the Northeast salt belt, and they very rarely escape the Corrosion.

Ooops.....Check with your local dealer, I seem to remember a modified "KIT" for T+C, Caravan and Voyager......even if its just a part number, it can be matched up after market. Its an evaporator , extension tubes , orrings and weather seals . I was using them on primarily 06 and 07, but there isnt any difference to "03".

Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Djinn,

Do you recommend aftermarket parts for the Evap and extension tubes? I have seen the Evap is really cheap compared to Mopar. I usually get my parts from an on-line Mopar shop here in Tampa and the evap is about $100 off what the dealership wants. I did call one dealership and the guy told me the rear evap is no longer carried by them and I would have to order it from Vintage Parts which apparently took all remaining stock.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by LonAllen
Djinn,

I usually get my parts from an on-line Mopar shop here in Tampa and the evap is about $100 off what the dealership wants. I did call one dealership and the guy told me the rear evap is no longer carried by them and I would have to order it from Vintage Parts which apparently took all remaining stock.
I cant seem to get To my "Cloud" at the moment, but if you Google

TSB 24-005-10

There will be a list of part numbers.... By all means , if you can get MOPAR PARTS, then that would be best. You will have to discuss this with your online supplier, and ENSURE the parts interchange, but at least it will give you a guide.