Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2004 T&C all wheel drive "clunking"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 01:53 AM
Default 2004 T&C all wheel drive "clunking"

from start to about 20MPH I am getting a clunk from the driveline and it seems to be happening every revolution of the wheels. Once I am up to speed it goes away and the car travels and turns quietly. I would appreciate any suggestion members can help me with.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:44 PM

You being AWD I am reckoning you have a rubber coupling on the front to rear prop shaft so check it out before it falls apart.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:21 PM

Thanks goggs, I followed your suggestion and the drive shaft coupler seems okay No rubber breaking away and all nice and tight

Old 08-07-2016, 01:30 PM

Scrap this.

Last edited by goggs; 08-07-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Not worth reading.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:11 PM

There seems to be little out there regarding repairs on these AWD systems. Saying that its advised that the system should be properly serviced. So there's Rear Carrier fluid to check, Power Transfer Unit fluid and Overrunning Clutch fluid. One repair I could find related to a noise like a stone in a can rolling about the floor. The prop is a two piece affair and what they found was something had come loose inside the front part of the prop. I'm taking it this part is near the gearbox. Price estimated was $1000 so it must be a coupling or summit.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:49 PM

Lets look into this AWD setup. From gearbox power goes through a Viscous coupling (must have been previous problem). Next inline is an Overrunning clutch which is Vacuum operated. Then at rear between wheels is Differential or Driveline Module.
So car is not permanent AWD as rear wheels are only powered when fronts skid like in snow. Over running clutch brings power to rear wheels via a Vacuum selector and dog gear.
So can Thegrandvoyager confirm if this is what's underneath.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:11 AM

That seems to be the setup goggs. I plan to get it up on a workshop lift next week where I can have all wheels off the ground. running the transmission should pinpoint where the damage is. I My impression is that the AWD is operating all the time and not like a limited slip diff.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:16 AM

I finally got my AWD onto a lift and was able to run it with the wheels off the ground. Really loud clanking coming from the power transfer unit. I disconnected the propshaft from the PTU so that no power was going to the rear wheels and the noise was still there and without a doubt coming from the PTU. I shut the motor off and was able to turn the wheel by hand as I watched the shaft coming out of the PTU. Sure enough after about 5 or 6 rotations the shaft stopped turning. I continued spinning the wheel and within a couple of revolutions the shaft started turning again. I have not seen what is inside the PTU but it sounds like I have lost some drive teeth.
It's almost impossible to get parts for the AWD here in Australia so I am thinking of converting it to a FWD. I am pondering two alternatives here
(1) I can either remove the PTU completely and install a longer FWD driveshaft
thus making it FWD. I will need to find a transmission extension to add to the
right hand side of the transmission to accommodate the new driveshaft but it sounds like a reasonable alternative.
(2) Not knowing the setup inside the PTU I am wondering if it has a pinion that I can remove? Seeing as how I don't need any power to go out the back to the rear wheels this should remove and "clanging" as the gears rotate inside the PTU.
It would also not have to change the driveshaft. It could all stay as it is except nothing going out the back
Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track or am I heading for disaster?
Any advise would be appreciated
Cheers

Last edited by thegrandvoyager2; 09-07-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM

What are you referring to as the PTU. Is this the Viscous Coupling that costs about $1000. If your not rich and not needing the AWD just remove all drive shafts to rear differential. Or how about second hand parts which might be very scarce.
Pictures of your AWD system would be interesting and showing this PTO.

Last edited by goggs; 09-07-2016 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Add summit.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:47 PM

Hi goggs
I'm away from the car so can't post a photo. here is a link to a site showing the unit Chrysler Town & Country POWER TRANSFER UNIT ASSEMBLY USED WITH 41AE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE NS,GS BODY, AWD
My plan is to either remove it completely or to remove the pinion or whatever from the unit so the teeth driving the prop shaft don't mesh and make the terrible noise it does now.

Quick Reply: 2004 T&C all wheel drive "clunking"