Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 voyager stuck in gear help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Default 2004 voyager stuck in gear help.

Hi. I've got a 2004 voyager. It started coming out of drive. So we changed the input sensor and output sensor. And replaced the auto oil. The motor was fine for 2 weeks. Now the speedo is not working. And the gearbox will not change up. Any help would be great. I ready don't want the main steelers to carry out any work. I'm all for buying software or a code reader which will work. I've tried the latest Sirius snap on reader. £4000 worth and hay Ho can't do it. I'm in the midlands and can limp the car short distances. Cheers Dave.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brocky69
Hi. I've got a 2004 voyager. It started coming out of drive. So we changed the input sensor and output sensor. And replaced the auto oil. The motor was fine for 2 weeks. Now the speedo is not working. And the gearbox will not change up. Any help would be great. I ready don't want the main steelers to carry out any work. I'm all for buying software or a code reader which will work. I've tried the latest Sirius snap on reader. £4000 worth and hay Ho can't do it. I'm in the midlands and can limp the car short distances. Cheers Dave.
I'm assuming you are in the UK .. ..

- don't waste your money
- I tried the ETHOS / Solus Pro and a few others, up to 18 grands worth all complete with updates & 'keys'
- and they didn't work

This cheepo [by comparison] gave loads more info and can switch codes off
- this also gives limited info and can switch codes off works fine on a phone / tablet / phablet

Do the 'key dance'
-its a different car but the same sequence

Put your hand on the key / on and then off a and then on and then off and then leave it on

SO, on-off-on-off-on

Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 AM

Hi. Cheers for the info. I will give the key trick a go. In your reply too the tread. Concerning code readers. And you have tried all the exspensive ones. Do you have the name of the cheapo one you mensioned. Cheers Dave.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM

Hi. Cheers for the info. I will give the key trick a go. In your reply too the tread. Concerning code readers. And you have tried all the exspensive ones. Do you have the name of the cheapo one you mensioned. Cheers Dave.
- I gave you it - you click on the red writing
- do the key dance first then use an ODB lookup site

Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM

The output speed sensor is the signal source for your speedo. It also has a hand in transmission shift scheduling. It's the common denominator. That said, it could be something in the circuit, meaning the sensor, the TCM, the transmission or the wiring between. If auto oil means transmission fluid, use only ATF+4 fluid. If your check engine light isn't on you will likely not see any codes. You might see pending codes depending on the scanner used.

No idea if this works on Euro spec vans but you can test the instrument cluster and see if the speedo works. Hold the odometer trip **** in then turn the ignition switch to on (not start). It should start a test cycle within a few seconds. Once started you can release the ****. The speedo should cycle to 4 readings then return to zero.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 10-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Hi. Tried the key dance. Which on this model. Failed. The odb scanner mentioned in your reply, I've tried. This also failed. The main steelers want £98 plus vat. I'm not ready yet too get my pants pulled down yet. But I'm against time now.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Hi. Tried the key dance. Which on this model. Failed. The odb scanner mentioned in your reply, I've tried. This also failed. The main steelers want £98 plus vat. I'm not ready yet too get my pants pulled down yet. But I'm against time now.
You won't win .. .. only the stealer can do a 'deep read', I did get codes and turn them off with the Autel - that of course depends on what codes you are looking for - its certainly the case that for example gearbox can't be read with the Autel.

As for the keydance M8 you should persevere, it does work but its more voodoo than science - getting the 5 clicks sequence is easy, but getting that same 5 clicks sequence with the timings / pause right is a bit of a knack.

I too gave up assuming it didn't work. Only a month or so later waiting in ASDA carpark [bored] for someone did I try it again - it worked and now I can do it sub-consciously every time. Try / try / try again M8 it will work.

Again .. .. what codes it gives you, like the Autel in the first paragraph will only be the P codes. anything deeper than that and its £100 a go at the stealers for a proper read, they are the only ones with a reason to have a manufacturer specific DRB III [or above] code reader.

Best of luck - Brocky69 - Brum is too far - if you lived anywhere near I'd meet you half way and show you !

Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM

Keep the odometer journey handle in then turn the key change to on (not start). It should begin a analyze pattern within a short time. Once started you can launch the handle.

----------
Online oil painting shop -- Oilpainting-shop.com

Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Did the key dance. And got 100.3. But better still found a code reader which works. It's called a autel ds708. I used it at the weekend. It did a complete scan. And found 13 faults. Most reset. But the problem is the comms with the tcm. So it's either loss of supply. Wiring or faulty unit. Will keep you posted. But please check out this reader. Under $900. Which is good considering what this little gem can do. I'm thinking of buying one. 3 years of updates. But I did find 1 with lifetime free updates.