Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2004 voyager uk some problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Default 2004 voyager uk some problems please help

Hi all,

I ham a newbie, just bought a 2004 voyager limited edition model 2.4 petrol, I am having the following problem I have broken it down into two parts I hope it makes sense.

The issue is with the radio, if you open any door before taking the key out of the ignition the radio stays on, after taking out the key.

If you take the key out of the ignition the radio stays on until you open the drivers door, then it cuts off.

Can anyone help thanks in advance jim

Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jimedward
Hi all,

I ham a newbie, just bought a 2004 voyager limited edition model 2.4 petrol, I am having the following problem I have broken it down into two parts I hope it makes sense.

The issue is with the radio, if you open any door before taking the key out of the ignition the radio stays on, after taking out the key.

If you take the key out of the ignition the radio stays on until you open the drivers door, then it cuts off.

Can anyone help thanks in advance jim
- no idea - weird !

- the all the way anti-clockwise should allow the radio to stay ON ignition OFF but you can't get the key out of the barrel
- the all the way anti-clockwise + 1 clockwise should switch everything OFF and allow the key to come out of the barrel

NOTE: do what you were doing, lock up a usual, and listen, does the radio turn off ? - I think you will find it does. Also, in addition, after 15 minutes it will turn off interior lights etc if you leave them on. The car will poll for errors for 15 minutes and 'make safe'.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
- no idea - weird !

- the all the way anti-clockwise should allow the radio to stay ON ignition OFF but you can't get the key out of the barrel
- the all the way anti-clockwise + 1 clockwise should switch everything OFF and allow the key to come out of the barrel

NOTE: do what you were doing, lock up a usual, and listen, does the radio turn off ? - I think you will find it does. Also, in addition, after 15 minutes it will turn off interior lights etc if you leave them on. The car will poll for errors for 15 minutes and 'make safe'.
QinteQ,

Thank you for your reply, the first part you mention all the way ignition off, tried that and after 1 minute the radio cuts off but when I turn the key to take it out the radio goes on again and when I lock the car and return to check the radio is still on, it is a very strange problem.

I will check your second part leaving the car locked for 15 minutes to see if that helps. Thanks again for your reply I will let you know tonight. Jim

Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 AM

"""Thank you for your reply, the first part you mention all the way ignition off, tried that and after 1 minute the radio cuts off """

- the radio should not shut off ever on the all the way anti-clockwise, it allows the radio to be played forever or until the battery goes flat, that's precisely what that [ACC SETTING] setting is for.

"""but when I turn the key to take it out [LOCK SETTING] the radio goes on again and when I lock the car and return to check the radio is still on, it is a very strange problem"""

- this I do not understand, the LOCK setting should disable the ability of the radio to play at all after 45 seconds. Has someone fitted an aftermarket / non standard radio ?. Is the IGN barrel sloppy / worn ?

NOTE from HANDBOOK : The power window switches, radio, power outlets, etc will remain active for up to 45 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned off. Opening a vehicle front door will cancel this feature.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Default Radio problem

QinteQ,

Thanks again for all your help, after reading your post, I went to the owners manual and found the part about the key etc.

I feel like a Fooooooooooooooooollllllll, looks like i was taking the key out at the acc position. However when I do take the key out from the lock position the radio only goes off when i open the drivers door, Is this normal?

Again thank you very much for taking the time to reply.............Jim

Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM

if you open any door before taking the key out of the ignition the radio stays on, after taking out the key.
This makes no sense

This is normal

Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Default Radio problem

[QUOTE=TNtech;61726]This makes no sense

Let me try to explain, when I stop the car and before turning off the ignition, the passenger opens their door and gets out, then I turn off the ignition and the radio stays on even after I open the drivers door.

So if any door opens after stopping before removing the key the radio will not cut off as per the norm, it means I have to restart the ignition remove key then open the door to switch off radio.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer Jim

Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM

I have a similar 'problem' with my 98 grand voyager 3.3LE. i say it's a problem, there are a lot of things about this vehicle that are weird and different from your average European car and i have just assumed that's the way they are wired.
with my radio (post install but just using standard wiring connector) if i turn the ignition off the radio goes off but if i complete the key rotation towards me the radio comes back on...usually. it then stays on indefinitely. the wipers and ventilation fan also work independently with the key out.