Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 T&C, [Video] Is This A CV Joint Going Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Question 2005 T&C, [Video] Is This A CV Joint Going Bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuwbKCf_fQ

I'm guessing my CV joint is going bad. In the above linked video, you can see and hear the noise. The van is parked on a downward slope and I'm shifting between reverse and drive. You can hear an audible, "pop". I'm also getting vibrations in the drive train at about 40 MPH just when the transmission shifts to over-drive. The vibrations go away if I let off the gas, accelerate faster, or drive in 3rd gear. Also, the vibrations are not evident coasting down a hill. Only during light acceleration can I feel the vibrations on only then at 1100 RPM and 40 MPH.

Thoughts?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 PM

That POP you hear is an axle nut that has backed off just a hair. No problem it just happens over time. A few whacks with an impact gun will shut that up. About your vibration, yes it could be a CV joint BUT an out of round tire can magnify any wobble in a front wheel drive under acceleration. My advice would be rotate the tires front to back and see if the condition changes. If not then get you a couple new front shafts. They aren't very expensive.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
That POP you hear is an axle nut that has backed off just a hair. No problem it just happens over time. A few whacks with an impact gun will shut that up. About your vibration, yes it could be a CV joint BUT an out of round tire can magnify any wobble in a front wheel drive under acceleration. My advice would be rotate the tires front to back and see if the condition changes. If not then get you a couple new front shafts. They aren't very expensive.
Thank you for the reply. I tested several scenarios like turning the wheel to the left or right and driving in a circle but I heard no other sounds or vibrations. I also tried to twist or shake the axle's with my hand (wheels on the ground) but nothing was lose.

I just put new tires on this week and the pop/vibration was present with the old tires too. I do not have an impact gun so would a ratchet/socket do the trick? And, shamefully, I do not know where the axle nut is but I'm assuming it is the nut visible when I remove the wheel...located at the center of the break rotor's housing?

Thank you for the help.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:49 AM

Yep, right in the middle. Take the wheel off. You'll need a big breaker bar or you can just ask the tire shop to do it for you. The noise is the hub and the outer CV cup torque stressing against each other. About the vibration from the axles, looseness is not always a symptom. If the joints can't articulate that will cause a vibration too.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-21-2010 at 11:56 AM.