Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 T&C Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Unhappy 2005 T&C Headlight issues

Sometimes my headlights do not come on when I turn the switch. Sometimes it takes several times turning them off and on to get them to come on. Sometimes they have gone off while driving. Took it into the dealer while under extended warranty and they could not duplicate the issue. The issue is happening more often now that it is out of warranty.

Is this a swich issue or an issue with the onboard computer?

I did find a thread similar but not exactly the same problem and it did not really state what the issue was.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM

The exact same thing is happening to my wives 2005 T&C. Did you find the problem? If not I hope someone posts the issue.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Front control module is going flippy, or is losing contact where it attaches to the IPM. It's held on by four TORX screws on drivers side front. Take it off and put it back on. See if that helps.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Default headlight problems

I have removed, cleaned contacts and reinstalled that front control module several times with only short term success. The lights always start acting up again within a few days. There have many hundreds of posts on this exact issue across various sites on the internet but no acknowledgment of the issue from Chrysler. When your light unexpectedly go off in the dark on a curvey country road with your kids in the car it ceases to be an unimportant issue. It appears that fatalities must occur before a recognition of the problem will happen, meanwhile, I plan to figure a way to rewire the headlights around that BCM so they wont go off at random. This is just crazy to be a consumer that has to design a fix for what is clearly a manufacturer defect. This is what makes sane people steer away from our American car manufacturers. It is a shame.

If anyone has created this fix, please post your schematic..!!

DK

Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Well, go get your car fixed so your kids don't have to be in an accident because their hard-headed parent was too cheap to do anything about it other than come to a forum and complain. Waiting for Chrysler to do anything about it is not an option here either. You're an adult. Control your own destiny.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-18-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 PM

I guess you think I havent been to the dealership.......that was the first place I went and they couldnt find the problem, and since they couldnt replicate it they concluded that it didnt exist. BECAUSE I AM A RESPONSIBLE ADULT I AM DOING THE ONLY THING I CAN..........FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX IT MYSELF........thanks for your considerate thoughts when I came here looking for a possible solution

Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Well, go get your car fixed so your kids don't have to be in an accident because their hard-headed parent was too cheap to do anything about it other than come to a forum and complain. Waiting for Chrysler to do anything about it is not an option here either. You're an adult. Control your own destiny.
What a worthless and ignorant comment. Keep these to yourself, this forum like many others are a support tool for many who are looking for suggestions and possible solutions. Regardless of the skill set, don't make assumptions until you ask.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM

What a worthless and ignorant comment. Keep these to yourself, this forum like many others are a support tool for many who are looking for suggestions and possible solutions. Regardless of the skill set, don't make assumptions until you ask.
Yes it is a SUPPORT TOOL...so lets try to keep it that way, instead of turning everything into Venting tube for everyone who is expecting a free ride on a 7 year old vehicle.

It never seems to be a problem until SOMEONE ELSE IS EXPECTED TO PICK UP THE TAB...Then its a matter of life and death.....

Sorry Guys...but if youre worried about your kids safety ...then Take A FREAKING BUS until the problem is RECTIFIED..... Your a grown adult, And a motorist, and a vehicle owner......Sorry to say it, But Common sense has to trump Your wallet.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Now ...On a lighter note.....

Unless the headlights have failed while you are checking them...YOU ARE CHASING A GHOST....... So you really cant blame a Technician...(Dealership or Otherwise) for not being able to help you if they didnt see the problem happen.

If the symptom is happening.......A factory scan tool is placed in the vehicle...Inputs and outputs are observed, and a course of action is taken.. whether is be wiring repair or parts replacement.......Its a headlamp circuit, and it isnt that complicated.

There is a RIGHT and a WRONG way of making repairs, so as for "SKILL SET " prior to asking.......A wiring diagram, and a knowledge of how the circuit works, is all that would be needed to make such a "BYPASS".......But then again...If you had a wiring diagram, and a Knowledge of how the circuit works....This wouldnt be Necessary , now , Would It????

The Dealership Techs and Chrysler Professionals on this board are here to help.......Otherwise we wouldnt spend our time visiting this site 3 to 4 times a day......And I for one am getting kind of fed-up, having my profession and ability slandered, by someone who doesnt understand his vehicle, and spends more time looking for a cheaper way out, then actually having the car fixed. If there was a quick and easy 2 second, one word answer to auto repair, We Professionals would not have spent the last 20+ years trying to perfect our Craft.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 06-19-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Yes it is a SUPPORT TOOL...so lets try to keep it that way, instead of turning everything into Venting tube for everyone who is expecting a free ride on a 7 year old vehicle.

It never seems to be a problem until SOMEONE ELSE IS EXPECTED TO PICK UP THE TAB...Then its a matter of life and death.....

Sorry Guys...but if youre worried about your kids safety ...then Take A FREAKING BUS until the problem is RECTIFIED..... Your a grown adult, And a motorist, and a vehicle owner......Sorry to say it, But Common sense has to trump Your wallet.
Did you even read the above question or are you using this forum as a "venting tube" as you stated above. Nowhere on this thread does it say or is it implied that anyone was looking for a "free ride". Nowhere on this thread does it say that anyone is looking for "SOMEONE ELSE TO PICK UP THE TAB... Plus it wasn't mentioned earlier but my vehicle sat at a dealership for a week and 1/2 while I paid for a rental van for my wife and 3 younger kids to use going back and fourth from school so they would be safe. Never was it stated that I was worried about spending money to keep my family safe. After the problem didn't show up while my vehicle was at the dealership, I never once blamed the dealership or the mechanic I was working with. Sham on me, Instead I thought that this forum and the amount of knowledge that is here, that maybe this problem came up before and that if it did, wouldn't it be nice to resolve the issue, then go back to the mechanic I was working with and let him know what I found out with the use of the forum, so future customers won't have to go threw what we did. Imagine that, sharing information with others without ridicule or comment.

Quick Reply: 2005 T&C Headlight issues