Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2006 T&C Starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Default 2006 T&C Starter issues

Hello Folks!
Last week the starter on the 2006 T&C Touring 3.8L with 140K left my wife and kids stranded at the food store. Initial symptom was when she turned the key she herd no cranking whatsoever. She called AAA, battery was at correct voltage and after taping on the starter, the van started. Soo I replaced the starter, took 3.25 hours and it started right up and life was good. This morning I went out after about a 10 degree night (shouldn't matter) and the starter made a grinding noise, engine did not turn over. Sounded as if the throwout gear didn't quite engage the flywheel, after turning the key again it started. Cringing at the noise, I turned it off and on few more time and the noise occurred approximately 1/3 of the time.
So I replaced the week old starter today and after the 10th start, I heard the same noise as if the throw out gear didn't fully engage the flywheel...teeth grinding noise. There are two bolts on this unit, not sure how else to center.
I tested the voltage at the small solenoid wire and it was at the same voltage as the battery...
I took the metal shim out thinking that maybe this car quest model called for it...no difference.
Any advise would be appreciated as I am at the point of bringing it to a shop.
Thank you
Looking for advise...thank you for your time and help.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:15 AM

After removing the starter the second time, did you THINK to check the teeth of the flex plate that the starter motor engages to turn the engine? May have a few teeth missing and could explain why sometimes it will start(crank) fine and at other times make a grinding noise.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM

Hello Rebel59,
I assume you mean flywheel...when you flex plate...I did look in to see what the flywheel looked like to see if there was any damage and could only see the slightest shining of metal and the front edge of the flywheel where the starter engages. Do you know if there is a plate on the flywheel that can be removed to inspect a greater area...damaged teeth sounds like a reasonable explanation...just not sure how the damage could have happened. (the new starter that I replaced last week has been damaging it to the point where now it won't turn over??)
My plan is to try a different brand starter to see if that eliminates issues. I have tried two Carquest brands from Advanced Auto and $129. I found a remanufactured Bosch $199 unit from Napa that I plan to try tonight. The starter is two bolts so not sure how else I could be screwing up the alignment on installation.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:25 AM

Flex Plate.

- with lots of recent photo's
- same model range as yours
- here is the flex plate in question
- best of luck

Old 02-04-2018, 02:19 PM

An automatic trans uses a flex plate on end of the crankshaft. A standard trans would use a fly wheel. The lower plate between the trans and engine is removable with a couple of small bolts and starter removed, that should give you at least a 1/3 dia. view of the condition of the starter ring teeth of the flex plate.Rotate the engine by the belt end crank bolt to check all of the teeth. Another possibility is the flex plate has cracked as is shown in the pic by member QinteQ, that condition will also play havoc on starter noise and could also prevent motor from running Due to crank sensor location reading off the torque converter that is bolted to the flex plate. I have only seen one or two cars during my auto tech career to have done as in that pic, but it can happen.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:19 PM

3.8L will be USA not UK CRD and I assume a V6 in which case it would be a 62TE 6 speed whereas we are on 41TE 4 speed with that year and are compression CRD not spark petrol.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
3.8L will be USA not UK CRD and I assume a V6 in which case it would be a 62TE 6 speed whereas we are on 41TE 4 speed with that year and are compression CRD not spark petrol.
English "dialect" differences...LOL
Yes USA 3.8 petrol V-6, and ALL come as auto trans. Was explaining difference of terminology. But for the gen. van in question (and my o4's) they have a 3 speed with overdrive and a lock up converter.It's very late at night and brain functions are NOT allowing precise trans type number recall!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 AM

HiYa rebel59, I was explaining my fault, and that I missed the #1 3.8L so my fault I should have realised that it was USA and could have been a manual. I didn't realise you folks have has non-auto box's, I thought you all had big engine auto petrol

Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
HiYa rebel59, I was explaining my fault, and that I missed the #1 3.8L so my fault I should have realised that it was USA and could have been a manual. I didn't realise you folks have has non-auto box's, I thought you all had big engine auto petrol
Hey there..NO HARM, NO FOUL. A little more awake now, and I think our gen models are the same trans. until 08. As per the OP's situation, there is not a lot more that could cause the condition.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:17 AM

That pic came from andyb2000 who is also on this forum, it was his actual flex after he'd taken it out of the car, the originals are here unfortunately he spent a fortune on a misdiagnosis when an 'expert' asserted it was tone bar harmonics.

Quick Reply: 2006 T&C Starter issues