Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Grand Voyager front doors deadlocked, won't open

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Default 2008 Grand Voyager front doors deadlocked, won't open

Desperately hoping for some advice/experience on this. I have a late 2008 model Grand Voyager. Got out, locked it, came back a little while later, unlocked it, but found that neither the driver or passenger doors would open.

Details as follows:
Neither key fob will release the doors
The fobs are sending a signal fine - the lock buttons pop up and down, and the main locks sound as if they disengage.
The doors cannot be opened from the inside either.
Local dealer says deadlocks are engaged and they don't know why. Will need to remove the door panels for access. These are £840 each to replace if they are damaged in the process, which seems highly likely. Add in possible new deadlocks, and an estimated two days labour, and I could be facing a bill close to £3000 for this.

So far, between online googling and dealer speculation, possibilities seem to centre around the BCM (which I believe is under the dash, which can't be accessed without removing the door panels either), the relay to activate the locks, or the TIPM under the bonnet.

Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated, as I'm terrified that the garage don't seem to have a clue where to start, and that's going to cost me hugely! Would also be useful to know what could be tried by my local mechanic, who is great and trustworthy, but can't do things that require Chrysler to reprogram. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM
tfb

looking through the documentation I have, I can't see any mention of a separate feed for a dead lock motor. I've attached the power door lock motor circuit diagram below. Even looking at the pin out of the BCM connector shows nothing extra.

The BCM is down in the footwell and should be accessible with the doors closed providing you are quite flexible.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the front doors and not the sliding doors?

I would guess that the front seats would need to be removed to gain access to the door panels. I wouldn't have thought that too much damage would occur in trying to remove them, but it's not something I've ever tried.

Regards
Richard

Regards
Richard

Attached Thumbnails 2008 Grand Voyager front doors deadlocked, won't open-image-rs706104.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Thanks Richard. Yes, it's the two front doors, not the sliding doors. If I am understanding you correctly, are you saying-and forgive my poor technical terminology - that the same wire sends a signal both to the deadlocks and the main locks? And if so, it is therefore only possible that both or none would be remaining locked? So the very normal reassuring 'clunk' when I press the key fob unlock could just be the lock buttons popping up, and not the lock itself disengaging?

And, please let me know if my googling has let me grasp this correctly, the TIPM controls most of the electrics on the vehicle, the BCM seems to do a similar job, and it could be either of these at fault, or it could just be a wire? Have I got that right? It that where you would expect investigations to focus?

Thanks Richard. The climbing in and out from the back seat is getting really old...

Old 09-23-2013, 01:19 PM

Fixed, at least for the time being, by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Will let you know if it goes again.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM
tfb

Glad it's working
The IPM is the Intelligent Power Module and it supplies power to the other modules and directly controls a few devices.

The BCM is the Body Control Module and controls most of the body related devices such as locks, interior lights, switches and so on.

(very abbreviated descriptions)

Regards

Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM

I've read (two Chrysler techs on other forums) the BCM is no longer a separate component on 5th generation vans (2008-2013). Most of it's functions are integrated into the TIPM - Totally Integrated Power Module. I look up the 08 door lock circuit and the BCM isn't depicted, just the TIPM. I look up the BCM circuit and it only shows the TIPM.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 09-23-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Default Same problem today

I have a 2009 model and this happened to me today. I disconnected and then reconnected the battery and hey presto! Working again