Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2008 T&C front end suspension/steering noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Default 2008 T&C front end suspension/steering noises

Hey guys,

Looking for some help diagnosing 2 noises that have appeared recently. The first noise is a creaking sound which occurs if I bounce the right front of the vehicle while parked and lifting then releasing the right front fender at the wheel well opening.

The second noise comes as I turn the steering wheel left or right, even a little bit, while parked but running. There is a protective shield over the sway bar bushing near the steering rack which, if I touch it while someone turns the steering wheel, I can feel the vibration associated with the noise that occurs while turning the wheel.

Any thoughts on whether these are strut and rack issues or somethings else. Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Anybody have any info?

Old 05-19-2018, 03:33 PM

Strut top mount/bearing needs changing. Its the spring winding up instead of the bearing turning that's the noise and vibration. Bearing disintegrates due to wear and eventually spring wears through top of spring housing. Think it was last year on here that we talked about this..

Old 05-19-2018, 11:35 PM

Will look into that as the possible issue. Last year's similar issue may have been what turned out to be a deteriorated front stabilizer bar bushing. The sounds I described earlier in this thread only began about a week ago.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:10 PM

Probably is the upper strut bearing making the noise when turning the wheel, but don't think this would cause the squeaking noise when bouncing the right front. I had a similar issue with a Pacifica. The lower control arm bushings were badly worn and I could have sworn it was coming from the spring on the strut. There is also a rubber seat at the bottom of the spring on the strut that may be worn down causing the spring to cause the squeaking. Put a few drops of oil or something around the base of the spring where it sits on the plate and see it the squeak changes or goes away. If it does the rubber seat is shot. Use spray oil sparingly as you don't want to soak the rubber seat with something that will cause it to get soft. Use a lubricant that is safe to use on rubber if possible and just use a little. It you notice a difference in the squeak rebuild the strut with new bushings and bearings, or just replace the whole strut with a new strut assembly which is a whole lot easier than rebuilding the strut..It is possible that you have a problem with the steering rack too if you can feel something by turning the wheel just slightly. I highly doubt that a stabilizer bar bushing would cause that. What is it that you're feeling? If a thumping kind of noise could be a worn inner tie rod.

Last edited by grbullets; 05-20-2018 at 05:18 PM.