Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 T&C PS system air bleeding process

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:06 PM
Default 2008 T&C PS system air bleeding process

Hey guys,

Just replaced a low pressure ps hose and wanted to know if there are any special techniques to bleeding the system to get the air out and the pump noise to subside. Is it still the same as old school of filling up the reservoir then turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times meanwhile adding fluid until the level remains steady then starting the vehicle and doing the same lock to lock, refill, etc until the fluid level remains full. I partially filled the system (ran out of fluid and needed to get more), did several lock to locks of the steering wheel, then started the vehicle but the noise was very loud and got even louder whenever I tried to turn the wheel so I shut it down until I could at least get enough fluid to fill it and continue with the process. I saw some Youtube videos also that mention you have to do a vacuum bleed with today's vehicles vs just turning the steering wheel back and forth. Is this really necessary. Thanks for any info so I don't kill the pump prematurely.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 AM

The only recommendation I've seen on the later models is to hold the steering at full lock for 3 to 4 seconds before turning it in the opposite direction. Otherwise, the procedure is the just the same as its always been!

Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
The only recommendation I've seen on the later models is to hold the steering at full lock for 3 to 4 seconds before turning it in the opposite direction. Otherwise, the procedure is the just the same as its always been!
Thanks. Just filling the fluid up to the full level and turning back and forth lock to lock a few times made all the difference. I had seen some youtube videos of using a vacuum pump to bleed the system so I was wondering. Turned out to be unnecessary for my application and old school did it just fine. Nice and quiet now.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:46 PM

Yeah I've seen a few strange videos on Jeeps which would have you vacuuming the lines. Not sure where that idea came from but never had to do it myself!