Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 T&C rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Default 2008 T&C rotor question

Hey guys,

Really a general question, but am asking as it has just happened on our van. So our local Pep Boys (which I sometimes use to perform a brake job) said that our rear brakes needed to be done as the rotor had a rust lip on the outer edge of the rotor. So we did it and had them save me the pads as I wished to see their condition and found that the pads were not even half worn. Is it typical to perform a brake job if there is a lip but the pads have a lot of meat left on them? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Hi you'd normally expect to see several sets of pads fitted over the lifetime of the rotors so its not unusual to see rotors replaced with life left in the pads. However, most places like Pep Boys etc. will always insist on fitting new pads with new rotors as a safety precaution.

As for the lip it is common to find a rust lip on the outer edge where the pads do not contact, however if it is deep then this is often a sign of a worn rotor

Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 PM

So, in our case, the rear rotors (and pads) had plenty of meat left on them. Pep Boys turned the rotors (using their on-car lathe) to resurface the rotor pad contact area and to remove the rust lip. Which, as such, still leaves me wondering whether it is necessary to replace pads and resurface a rotor that simply has a rust lip with plenty of meat on both pads and rotors or should a rear brake job, in this case, had not been necessary.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by StratLou
So, in our case, the rear rotors (and pads) had plenty of meat left on them. Pep Boys turned the rotors (using their on-car lathe) to resurface the rotor pad contact area and to remove the rust lip. Which, as such, still leaves me wondering whether it is necessary to replace pads and resurface a rotor that simply has a rust lip with plenty of meat on both pads and rotors or should a rear brake job, in this case, had not been necessary.
Just looking for any more thoughts on this. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 AM

Without seeing the original condition of the rotors its difficult to say. As for the pads, definitely; in-fact I don't know any shop that wouldn't fit new pads after a resurface. The reality is, if those old pads failed in any way, legally the responsibility lies with the shop who refitted them. However, if the new pads fail, then its down to the manufacture. And personally, if I replace rotors or anything on friends rides, I will not under any circumstances refit the old pads, ya know just to cover my own ***!

Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM

I ain't got enough fingers on my hands to count how many times I have removed the wear ridge off brake discs with my angle grinder, smooth file then emery paper. Always looks like new afterwards sorry to say. What Brake Drums, yes have done them too as it helps the removal next time they come off...However have got new discs and pads and shoes in stock here so don't know if I'll bother next time...

Last edited by goggs; 07-24-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Wasn't Bl**dy finish typing.