Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2008 T&C stalling, rough idle, hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Default 2008 T&C stalling, rough idle, hesitation

Hey guys,

Have a problem(s) with our van that's been creeping up on us and was wondering if anyone had a thought as to what could be going on. The van has about 97k on it and maybe around 90k? we started to feel a very slight roughness in the motor at idle in drive. Never thought about looking into it until recently when we began to intermittently experience the engine quit after driving about 1/2 mile, give or take, while engine still cold. That started about 2 months ago and the quitting would happen, say, once every 2 weeks and now occurs about twice a week. When we restart the engine, it runs a little rough for about 5 seconds and then smoothens out. Now, most recently, we observed that if the throttle position is at the point of feathering at the threshold of acceleration and holding steady speed, that the engine is not as smooth as before where it feels like it actually is bucking the vehicle a little and not holding a steady speed. Are these all a related issue(s) or seperate affairs. Thanks for any insight.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:08 PM

Information on your car required.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Information on your car required.
2008 Town & Country 4.0L. Any other info needed?

Old 03-23-2015, 02:39 PM

Have you serviced the car recently? If not I would check air and fuel filter and also check for any codes present?

Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 PM

That's an unusual engine, usually 3.3, 3.6 or 3.8. I take it its petrol.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 PM

That's an unusual engine, usually 3.3, 3.6 or 3.8. I take it its petrol.
When you mentioned petrol, I had a thought you were not from the US. So I looked up your location and discovered you were across the pond! The 4.0L is common enough here in the US. Got the big badge on the tailgate to prove it! Do you see many Town & Country vans where you are?

Old 03-23-2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by royal100805
Have you serviced the car recently? If not I would check air and fuel filter and also check for any codes present?

Changed the air filter several months ago, but never changed the fuel filter. I had always wondered about that but never inquired. I believe I should now. The owner's manual mentions absolutely nothing about it! Not in the Maintenance Schedule, not in the index, nowhere. I will call my parts guy in the morning to ask more about this.

Is it possible that the IAC could be to blame, or does that present with much worse driveability symptoms than we're currently experiencing?

Will get a code check in along the way as well. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:28 PM

Yes we have loads of Voyagers/Town & Country vans over here but mostly Diesels in format 2.5 & 2.8 Crd., auto & manual. Give it a service, get the fault codes read and return with them on here.
Read through past fault threads on this forum relating to petrol units and you may find what you require. But saying that fuel filter may be the answer or per fault code it might be one of your cylinder banks with a fuel trim fault.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 PM

Just looking at your faults again, is engine ok when its heated up, looking to a temp sensor here.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Just looking at your faults again, is engine ok when its heated up, looking to a temp sensor here.
Yes, after 2 miles of driving it hasn't stalled, but the very slight roughness at idle and the inability to hold speed steady issue is present even after the engine is warmed up.

Quick Reply: 2008 T&C stalling, rough idle, hesitation