Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2008 T&C Transmission Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 11:02 AM

Because the trans goes into limp mode when hot, it may be the trans is overfilled. When hot, the fluid may expand enough for the mechanicals to hit it and foam it up. Trans fluid mixed with air will cause limp-mode (2nd gear and reverse only). That your issues began soon after the trans service points to a possible overfill (note a pan drop will take around 5.5 qts and rounding up to a full qt would bring your receipt to 6 even if they did not need/use the leftover 1/2 quart). It could also be the filter is not fully seated into the trans and is not sealing. This will allow air to be sucked in and also foam the fluid. The filter takes a bit of effort to seat fully and it is possible to tighten the 2 attaching screws with the filter not being fully inserted. Since it does take a bit of effort to install the filter, the filter housing have cracked during installation.

You may have found one of the few chain shops that actually uses atf+4 although I doubt they have it on the shelf. Unless you specifically request atf+4 you will most likely get something else. Unless the service manager can show you a bottle stating licensed atf+4 meeting MS-9602, it is not genuine atf+4. Note atf+4 does not come in a barrel (bulk).

It is a good sign that the manager is willing to go back in and check it out.

Last edited by ggoose; 06-12-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by E22supra
I called Aamco to see which "full synthetic ATF" they used in my van. Service manager told me it was ATF+4 and he can tell because of the price per quart. I explained my drivability situation and mentioned that the pan has been leaking very slightly ever since the service (which it has). He offered to repair the leak and visually inspect inside while the pan is off. He thinks there is something clogging the filter since I am able to restart the van and the problem goes away. Scheduled an appointment for Monday. Will update thread with any helpful info. I still invite any helpful considerations that you may have!
That is excellent information. Thanks so much for taking the time to share. I really appreciate you.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

FYI ALL transmission fluid no matter who makes it is synthetic =)

Old 06-14-2021, 01:25 PM

Aamco dropped the pan and found considerable shavings for being fully serviced only 3 months ago. They have suggested overhauling the trans.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

That looks pretty normal to me provided they did infact replace the filter and such 3 months ago

Old 06-15-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
That looks pretty normal to me provided they did infact replace the filter and such 3 months ago
Thanks for your input! I am glad and yet surprised to hear you say that. I have admittedly minimal skills with transmissions, but as a mechanic I see that amount of debris as a red flag. I'd love to be wrong in this case! if you consider this normal, what might you suspect is failing? I'll take any ideas or info you might be willing to share!

Old 08-25-2021, 12:10 PM
Default 2008 Transmission Trouble

I have the same problem with my Chrysler town country and I have the 4,0 engine and my transmission works good when it’s cold but when I drive some time just 5 miles and make a stop then it’s feels like you being hit from behind and then I can just drive on second gear. If I stop and put the car in reverse it’s like a Klunk sound and if I put it in drive same thing. I get a code PO765 and tells me to replace solenoids in transmission, the car has been at aamco twice and they told me that they have to rebuild the transmission and that will cost me $4500 and that is ridiculous. What the hell should I do? Car has only 118000 miles on it.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:38 PM

UPDATE:
I changed the solenoid pack myself. Seems to be shifting great, but immediately after replacing, I'm getting P0304 - cyl #4 misfire. I dug in. No spark on cylinder 4. All other cylinders getting strong spark. I changed spark plugs bc they look original at 120,000miles. I swapped 2 coil wires around just to see if problem would follow. No luck. I went thru and checked everything, looking for possible wires or grounds I may have disturbed, but nothing. Engine runs like sh*t, but trans shifts great with no tranny codes.
Any idea what I might have done? Seems very related to my repair. Do you ever see the coil fail on only 1 cylinder? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you for looking.