Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Town and Country rear rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Question 2008 Town and Country rear rotors

All,
I have to take the left rear rotor off of my wife's 2008 town and county van. It is the touring model. Somehow I managed to damage a wheel stud, and need to remove the damaged stud, and insert a new one.

I have read some of the threads on how to remove the rotor, and it appears that most talk about having to manually retract the emergency brake drum, but I have not seen the 2008 specifically mentioned.

I'm not sure, but I do not recall seeing a rubber cover on the back side of my wife's rear brakes..... I know that some things changed on the 2008, was this one of them?

I really don't want to just start whacking at the rotor with a hammer as I know that I can damage the bearings that way. And, I don't want to damage the rotor either.

So, to make a long story short, does the 2008 T&C rear brake rotor come off the same way as mentioned in threads for other years? Finally, to remove the old stud, I believe I have to get/borrow/steal a special tool that will push the old stud out the back of the wheel (again, to avoid damage to the wheel bearing). Is there a work around on the tool?

Regards....

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM

08 Is the first year for "Semi-Mechanical Calipers"....There are NO parking brake shoes inside the rotor...It is accomplished by a cable and lever on tthe caliper itself....

For the stud....Whack it out with the same hammer you will use on the rotor.

Going back in....Seat it where it belongs and use a lug nut and a stack of flat washers to draw it into the splines.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 AM

Oh wow talk about showing up at the party late, I had a 1979 Fiat X/19 Freaking Street Legal Go Cart with 4 wheel disc brakes and it had a Cam style thing that pressed between the Caliper and Pad to apply the Parking Brake and it worked awesome. I would imagine this is something similar that MOPAR is doing for the 08?
To make sure I understand Prior to 08 on 4 Wheel Disc Systems there is some sort of Parking Brake Shoe located inside the Rotor? Are you serious who in the heck thought up that train wreck of an Idea?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic

Going back in....Seat it where it belongs and use a lug nut and a stack of flat washers to draw it into the splines.
Great Minds think and work alike I guess lol