Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2008 Voyager engine cuts out when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM
tfb

Can't help with any garages in south london, but when you do take it to a garage ask them "how are you going to test it?" unacceptable answers will include "change parts until it clears" or "read the fault codes"

If they detail how they are going to test then you may not understand the answer but you can tell if they actually have a plan that they are going to follow. Randomly changing parts is going to be expensive and fault codes need to be interpreted.

Cutting out under load is usually fuel starvation. A fuel rail pressure fault will confirm this but not why the fuel starvation is occurring (assuming that the fuel rail pressure sensor is telling the ECU the truth and the ECU is acting correctly on it). Most common reason is air being sucked into the fuel system followed by clogged filters/pipes followed by the injection pump. It is possible that it's an injector or the wiring to it breaking down but that would be the last on my list to look at.

If there is no rail pressure fault code then other possible fault codes would be cam/crank sensor - they can give poor signals at high revs but I would expect that to occur not just under acceleration but at speed also.

Fuel flow to the IP can easily be checked by replacing the line from the filter to the IP with a section of softish clear plastic pipe. If it's air being sucked in then you will see bubbles, if it's a blockage you'll see the pipe sucked flat. Alternatively you can feed fuel to the IP from a can of clean diesel via known good filter thus bypassing the existing fuel supply system.

Testing the IP is a bit more complicated as it requires a decent oscilloscope to monitor the rail pressure and control valve.

Regards
Richard

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
- we, the group have no idea what you have - CRD - petrol - etc
- I'm assuming its a 2499 cc 2001 CRD
- the 'housing' is the aluminium bit the fuel filter screws into
- it can develop a stress fracture as in millions to one
- hairline 'vacuum' leaks [Leedsman] in the fractured pipework can develop
- your desperation 'understandably' shows in your postings
- often it can just be a slack fuel filter, very often - honest !
- its been suggested by Richard & others to eliminate the spin on fuel filter first

Mine, a 2.8 CRD is a bog standard filter can with a water trap and sensor. No pump and no in 'housing' heater. My heater is under the car at a point under the drivers seat. The lift pump is negative and part of the main HP injector pump. I know that CRD's have an issue with the LP system in general, the earlier models and the 2.5's had an LP pump near the rear axle. The Mk III's and above do not. Mine is incorporated into the HP pump.

Here is the exact correct can for a VOYAGER & GRAND VOYAGER 2,8 CRD 2004-2007 all you do is spin~off the existing water trap and sensor and spin~on this new can - does your look like this ?
QinteQ,

I have read your posts and diagnosis in relation to engine cutting out on the Grand voyager, i have a 2.5 Grand voyager 2002 mk3. I do not know if your diagnosis in relation to the fuel filter housing will be the same for mine, as yours is the 2.8crd.

Really appreciate your advice or any garages that might have dealt with the problem in the North West England.

Regards Kenee

Old 08-18-2013, 10:32 AM

I would agree with QinteQ but I think Richard is in France right now. He lives near Huntingdon, but works usually night-shift in London, so it is a matter of making contact on his return. he does have all the test equipment too, likely to a better standard than many garages.

I would be very surprised if this was not a fuel heater problem - it really is a pretty common thing, I had it happen a last year on my 07 plate 2007 Grand Voyager. It is not the fuel filter itself it is the part the fuel filter screws into which contains an electric heater so perhaps is best called the fuel heater housing and so there is a plug with wire(s) attached. If you unplug this the chances are that there will be a small crack between the pins of the plug on the heater housing (it is plastic and male) although it is doubtful you could see it. Often if you can smell the diesel when you take the plug (female) out. Air is sucked through this crack into the fuel flow and causes the enging to stall under accelleration (when fuel demand is greatest). Chrysler are supposed to have re-designed this part but I have no clue if they did. It is not hard to get to, just awkward, and you will have to fit a new plug. You will find the filter/fuel heater housing on the front of the engine towards the alternator side, but access is best from below. I should mention that after replacing the heater housing my engine stalled once more - but not in the several thousand miles since. I dont know why that was, I was overtaking a bus at the time! I would not overlook the possibility of two O Ring seals eather.

There are situations under which the ECU will shut down the engine to protect it, but this does not sound like that

Last edited by vrc8883; 08-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:40 AM

sorry to hijack your post but I am having the same issue, I also live near huntingdon how could I get in contact with Richard.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 AM

He's away with the frogs according to the # above yours, I'm sure on his return he'll post here and you will be able to make contact. He [and his Launch X431] is already aware of the common fault on the fuel heater on top of the fuel filter.

- [over]heats the plastic body which then cracks
- this allows air in, and diesel out

Give him a shout when he reappears !

Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM
tfb

back after 2500 miles of three screaming kids, grandma and a wife who screams, flinches and tries to press a non-existent brake pedal every time a car 500 yards away brakes! I need a solo holiday.

Send me a PM bigred1978, some reason the friends and contacts thing doesn't seem to be working

Regards
Richard

Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Richard I cannot figure out how to send a pm my email is pmgallolway@yahoo.co.uk if you could get in touch thanks paul..

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
tfb

Sorted out bigred's Voyager.
Initial scan showed about half a dozen fault codes, but as I knew it had been fiddled with previously I printed them out and cleared them down.

The only one to come back was P0190 Fuel rail pressure voltage. Live data showed implausible fuel pressures. Checking the voltages onto the sensor showed a good ground but dodgy 5V supply. Checking at the ECU end showed the voltage was fine. Testing the wire from the ECU showed it was high resistance.

Rather than pulling the loom apart to find the fault it was simpler to run an new wire from pin 60 on the ECU to the Fuel Rail sensor. Fault cleared and car runs fine now!.

Regards
Richard

Old 10-09-2013, 04:14 AM

would like to say a huge thanks to richard for fixing the bus she is still
running fine thank you very much..

paul.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:37 AM
Default 2005 CRD 2.8 Same issue

I'm having the same issue with my Chrysler. Where under the car is the filter and housing.

Quick Reply: 2008 Voyager engine cuts out when accelerating