Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 T&C 3.6 stalling coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Default 2011 T&C 3.6 stalling coming to a stop

Hello all, first post here. I have spent a great deal of time searching some possible causes of why my Pentastar motor stalls intermittently wile coming to a stop. Wondering where I should look next. It seems to happen after driving highway speeds, exiting the freeway and stopping. If I come to a stop over a longer distance, it will lurch and stumble. Tach bounces from 500-1000 RPM. It has ZERO codes. Little history:
122,000 miles, new battery and alternator. This motor has no MAF. I think it also has no EGRV. I cleaned the throttle body with no change. Swapped out with a used one, no change. Sprayed starting fluid around the intake looking for a leak with no change. Spark plugs replaced with 10 k. Found an engineer online talking about the TIPM, but what he describes is different than what I have going on. There is no dead battery issue or starter problem. Wondering how to diagnose a Vacuum leak somewhere else? What else am I not thinking of? Retired Chrysler mechanic suggested possible torque converter issue, but wouldnt it do it every time? Thank you for reading. Regards

Old 12-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Update for those of you searching town and country stalling upon stop. It turns out the torque converter is not unlocking, while slowing down. It was diagnosed with a tech in the passenger seat reading the scanner while I was driving. So the question now is, what is causing this. Is it the torque converter itself, or the internal solenoids? My options:
remove and replace torque converter
r&r solenoids
used trans swap or total rebuild.
I still haven’t determined what I want to do as it is still driveable anD I will be selling the car within 6 months. It will likely be the cheapest option between a swap and replacing the solenoid pack and torque converter. Solenoids start failing when they are warm so I may start with that.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:03 PM

I know a couple of Jeep guys who have had similar issues and it was a fault in the torque converter. On both occasions the lock-up clutch was sticking in the on position and would remain there for a while after they'd stopped. On both occasions they dropped the trans and replaced the converter.

As for the solenoid pack, I bought a reconditioned one from these guys, it was way cheaper than a new one and works great!

Phoenix Transmission Parts | eBay Stores

Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Thank you. I figured I would do both, since the trans has to come out