Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 T&C Horrible Grinding During Stop - Not Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Question 2008 T&C Horrible Grinding During Stop - Not Brakes

We have a 2008 T&C which has a very intermittent grinding noise while braking. It sounds just like I've sheared the pads off the backing plate and the backing plates are rubbing on the rotors. It is most pronounced (read embarrassingly loud) during the last 5-10 of the stop. Definitely metal on metal.

Just installed new pads and rotors all the way around and the noise is still there.

Checked all wheel bearings by rocking them top to bottom with the wheel off the ground. No apparent play.

Noise is not every stop, and doesn't correlate to hard stop vs soft stop etc.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM

As it's front wheel drive, investigate around the CV joins.
Investigate if an engine mount has not collapsed.
Investigate for a broken road-spring (sometimes they don't show up in vehicle height for a variety of reasons, esp. right at the top).

Leedsman.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Not sure if this is what your experiencing but some 08 vans may experience a clunking or chuckle like sound from the front or rear of the vehicle when traveling over small inputs (bumps and dips) in the road. The sound has been described as loose boards (lumber) striking one another. This condition is more noticeable at lower vehicle speeds when background noise is less.

The repair involves replacement of the front struts and if required rear shocks.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
2 68042864AB Strut, Front Suspension
AR (2) 04721686AC Shock Absorber, Rear Suspension — Normal Duty Suspension (SDA) “without” Load Leveling and Height control (SER)
AR (2) 04721690AD Shock Absorber, Rear Suspension — Normal Duty Suspension (SDA) “with” Load Leveling and Height control (SER) “and” 16” Tires (TUG) or (TUJ)
AR (2) 04721691AD Shock Absorber, Rear Suspension — Normal Duty Suspension (SDA) “with” Load Leveling and Height control (SER) “and” 17” Tires (TVK) or (TRF)

Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Check cross member area around drive shafts as shaft may be rubbing as body drops when braking.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Default update

Thanks to all for all the replies. Just to clarify it is definitely when speed related. I'm curious goggs about the cross member rubbing. Is this a t& c issue seen before or just a hunch?

Any concerns with transmission bearings possibly or a clutch not disengaging.

Thanks to all four the comments

Old 06-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Just a check not issue, as there's about 3 items very near the drive shafts, Anti-Roll bar, Brake hose bracket and cross member, but any rubbing should be evident.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:15 AM
Default 2017 3500 promaster conversion into Tavato 59 k. 2018

bought van 2019 as is. 29 k 3.6. 6l pentastar engine have had to 6 dealerships 2 would not attempt to look at it for their own reasons...1) no lift to raise up, 2) probably Winnebago sliced into area during conversion. COME ON PEOPLE!!!!
at end of Oct. , partner contacted Chrysler in Det.? they set me up with case manager. in SE region as I'm in Tampa, Fl.
can't duplicate stalling took to one of their recommended dealers, where it is currently being "looked at" they have had it twice now for total of 6 days can't duplicate but did show 5 codes..already had at of the dealers in Tampa before and in Upper Ohio, ( Toledo/Bowling Green)... same scenario at each place. have had diagnostics run each time with same outcome... did have some warranty work finished
coil. etc,
have had issues with intermittant stalling
at low speeds as in traffic after driving long periods of time in hot weather. it will start up immediately except 1 time recently...left me set in Ocala ...trans. seems to attempt to shift rpm dial revs up.
this is intermittant no codes show occasional alerts on dash usually at time the engine shuts down new dash alert did show up it was a lightning bolt with parentheses around it then of course all lights appear and no power steering or breaks...SCARY !!!
I see issues on line and wanted to reach out today. very fustrating!!
to me it seems like there are no mechanics these days just parts pushers!!! yikes!!!
need help to resolve it was suggested to me by independent mech. about adding Tran. cooling fan ck. torque conv.

Old 11-25-2022, 12:08 PM

I suggest you start a new thread with this problem.