Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Uk Grand Voyager Dead Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Angry 2011 Uk Grand Voyager Dead Problem

Hi all, new member here.

Im a self employed executive driver and purchased my Grand voyager in 2011, not really had any problems apart from serviceable items, car has covered 60,000 miles.

This morning was due to go out to do an airport drop-off at 5.00am, I usually get up early enough as I did this morning. Went out to the car at 4.00am and unlocked with the fob as usual.

It started and run for about 2 seconds then totally dead
Car wouldnt turn over at all, dash lights etc came on as normal but just wouldnt turn over.

A quick google on my smart fone showed up some possibilities and i pulled the main fuse from the fuse board and left it out for around 10mins then put it back in.

Car started again and run for a few seconds then done exactly the same wouldnt turn over again. at this point didnt have any obd light on dash coming up.

I was running out of time and got the job covered so that the customer could at least get to the airport but meanwhile it cost me money.

Took the fob out and kicked the tyres in frustration and smoked about 10 cigarettes one after the other, then inserted fob in different way around to the usual and car started but kicked up engine management light.

Although the car now is running ok with the light on at the moment, Im going to take it to the garage in the morning as one of my clients has a garage so they will hook it up and get a reading etc, just as a heads up I was wondering if theres any way of reading the code on the dash without obd reader and if anyone has had a similar problem.

I cant have an unreliable vehicle for my business otherwise I wont have a business left.

Just to add a few weeks back I was waiting for a client and parked the vehicle around the corner with the uconnect system on while having a snooze for about an hour, then went to start the car and had a similar issue where the dash would light up but no start at all not even a little fire up.

That time I removed the main fuse and left it for around 10 mins and it started fine, at the time didnt really think of any ongoing issues and has been fine since, no engine management light came on that time at all.

I really cannot have an unreliable vehicle in my business so any help or similar issues I would be very grateful.

thanks

JB

Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 AM

Update

Engine management light has now gone out
Can i still find out what the problem was

Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 AM

- protection system lets you in but cuts you out - just a guess ?
- "one of my clients has a garage" - Chrysler specific code reader required, £97 each and every time at a main stealer
Name:  yBD8OTb.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  52.6 KB
In the UK you have more chance of marrying the Pope than getting useful codes, a quick 'key dance' on all voyagers will give you the P codes but getting useful codes is £97 each and every time at a main stealer. Every fitter I've known, and I know many dozens stares in disbelief when his three grand diagnostic setup gets about the same info as a 'key dance'

"any way of reading the code on the dash"- do the 'key dance'
-its a different car but the same sequence, it will only give you the P codes as stated

Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM

thanks for the response. done the key dance and went through the motions etc but no code showing up now now. it seems to have cleared itself which is worrying me some more now.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
tfb

I've not had to deal too much with the immobiliser on my voyager, but running for 2 seconds and then cutting out and refusing to crank sounds very suspiciously like other immobiliser/alarm/security faults I've dealt with in the past.

Regards

Richard

Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBexec
thanks for the response. done the key dance and went through the motions etc but no code showing up now now. it seems to have cleared itself which is worrying me some more now.
- so long as you are sorted
- the key dance is more knack than skill
- getting the precise millisecond between off and on is the knack
- persistence will pay off

REM from the point you put the key in its

1-L - ACC
1-R - OFF
2-R - ON
3-R - START

See chapter 12 of the electronic handbook for a diagram

Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM

thanks for the input guys.

is there anything specific i should be looking for if it is an immobilser issue.

as i said the management light went out by itself and I have done the dance etc comes up with _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ done. So not getting code up now Gone

Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 PM

One possibility is that if you might have something on your key ring that interferes with the radio frequency transponder in your security key. A key from another vehicle or a "speed pass" for buying gasoline or something like that may be confusing the system. Try starting the car with nothing attached to your key and see if that makes a difference.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM

nothing attached to key ring apart from a plastic picture of my kids is it worth trying the spare fob or just keeping two fobs with me until the issue occurs again. Hopefully never

Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM

apart from this issue, i love this car to drive.

Quick Reply: 2011 Uk Grand Voyager Dead Problem