Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 dvd player compatibility and questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Unhappy 6 dvd player compatibility and questions

Hello all,
I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 05 model. HOWEVER, the 6 disc DVD player inside is a P05094033AA model. All my research is pointing to this as being a Pacifica DVD model primarily so I thought the experts here would be able to assist me. It died a slow painful death while driving from PA to FL (and we have 3 little kids... fun trip). After considerable tinkering by trained Dealer Mechanics, it was determined that it was a goner. We had to completely destroy it to get the DVD's out. The Radio works fine and is still in, and the pull down screen works fine and is also still installed. I have read that people buying just the DVD player and installing it with existing radio/screen have been having compatibility issues (the blinking error lights, which we had with the dead one BTW). We know about the "codes" issue - the dealer tried ALL that when we were trying to fix it.
Here are my questions:
1. I can buy JUST the DVD player (exact model as the broken one I have) online for MUCH less than buying the whole system from the dealer. SHOULD I? Will it work??? ANY advice????
2. I can buy the DVD player AND a screen. Will 2 screens work with the one DVD player? If I have to purchase the DVD with the extra screen I want to be sure it will work...
3. Should I just scrap the whole idea of using the working original parts I have and get an after-market item with all the parts I need (radio, dvd player, screen)?

ANY HELP will be most gratefully accepted! Please feel free to email me as well, sherri@tidychaos.com

THANKS!!!!!
S.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

u can get just the dvd player so long as the part numbers match or are super seeded to that number.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Sherrist,
Check w/ MrCD1 on ebay, he sells all sort of Chrysler A/V stuff for good prices and he has been doing this for 10+ years and has great feedback.. I bought some headphones from him and want to get a NAV radio for my Ram from him too. He knows this stuff inside and out. And what Ctech is saying is the newer one might be P05094033AB or AD something like that. I guess it could be a different number all together. The dealer should be able to tell you if a newer number exists, then you have a few models to choose from. What may be nice is the newer one might be able to play MP3 discs as I don't think the 05 original model can.

When I search on Chryslerpartspeople.com I get this when I type in your AA #

Part number 5094033AA was superseded by part number 5094033AB.

If you do install a different model than you have, please report back the number and if it plays mp3 discs as I would like to make this change someday as well.
Thanks
Fixit

Last edited by mrfixit454; 05-13-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM

THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH for the input and suggestions. I am very very grateful!

Actually, I saw a post about MRCD1 in the forum and checked him out on EBAY already. I will send him an email as well.

Right now, I have a DVD player strapped between my front seats with 3 headsets plugged into it (using a splitter). The wires are getting tangled, the kids pull the ear foam apart and they hate wearing the things.... and I'm constantly hitting my elbow on the screen. MUST do something!

I'll post back with the solution and see if I can get one that plays MP3s... although you could just plug your ipod into the audio jack...?
S.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Ok, Mr CD should be able to tell you what works and what doensn't. We have used the inputs on this vehicle and our Pacifica.. The auto sensing of music playing though that port stinks (when it briefely goes back to a dvd or cd when switching songs. Plus the fidelity of a disk is much better than those input jacks. I am kind of an audio nut plus, as you say.. more wires hanging

Old 09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Default Having the same issue!

Hi

Could you let me know what you ended up doing? Our 6 disc broke on a trip with a 22 month old who loves Toy Story!

Thanks,

Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 PM

Just got a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with 75,000 miles. It did not come with the DVD. I would like to know what options I have for flip down dvd player, thanks.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Grats on finding a solution for your DVD player.. I'd like to ask though, what's the part number of your screen? We bought an 05 Limited TC about 2 years ago that has the 6 disc, but no screen. I've tried googling on and off since then but I've been even unable to find a picture of what should be mounted in there, much less the correct into to go about purchasing one.

I am definately going looking for MrCD1 though!

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Do you have the rail system or sunroof or neither?

http://stores.ebay.com/mr-cd1?_rdc=1

Don't be afraid to email him. He will tell you what you need.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Hi,

My DVD player won't eject my wife's CDs. I tried removing the unit from the dash and pulled the face plate off the unit and noticed I wasn't going to be able extract the discs. I put every back together and now all 6 lights flash. I contacted the local dealer and was shocked to find out the expense. 600.00 for a rebuilt 1800.00 for a new unit. So here I am looking for answers. It looks like MrCD might a good start. Is there an after market unit that is compatible?

Thanks,
Mark

Quick Reply: 6 dvd player compatibility and questions