Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 dvd player compatibility and questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 PM

You should be able to pick up a used one for a couple 100 dollars. I am surprised you could not take the unit all the way apart to get the discs out. Make sure you get the same or similar part# I think the numbers should be the same and the 2 letters at the end should be equal or higher.. ex.. if yours ends in AB. then AC or AD etc. They may have just made one version but I am not sure.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Thank you for your info. I didn't open the player completely open, just took the face plate off. At that point I stopped when I saw I couldn't manually remove the discs without tearing it open.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Yeah I'd wager that once the unit is totally removed from the console you can remove at least the top cover and manually move the gears to eject the discs versus disassembling the whole unit.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 PM

I'm in the same boat with this 6-disc player. I have a rental disc in though and NEED to get it out.

I've read on another forum that an individual had to toataly destroy it to get the discs out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 AM

I have a 2007 Grand Voyager with the single overhead screen. Does anyone know if a second screen could be wired in with ease?
Will look to pick one up from a breakers if I can.]

Thanks
Regards
Paul

Old 03-23-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by JM Brooks
I'm in the same boat with this 6-disc player. I have a rental disc in though and NEED to get it out.

I've read on another forum that an individual had to toataly destroy it to get the discs out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I was able to remove it and disassemble it, the disc's were all askew and 2 of the metal "fingered' divideres were damaged. I recovered all the disks with minimal work and went about figuring this thing out. I placed the two bad spacers for disc 5 and 6 so we could use 1 - 4. Put it all back together and instaled, no go. Trying to figure out what the problem is.

Anyone know a good source for quality repair? I think a used one is just asking for the same problem. Anyone willing to part with a broke one I'll post repair instructions and pay shipping.

I understand this is a common problem and I hate to see anyone (myself included) have to shell out $500 - $700 for what could be a semi-simple repair.

I am an equipment technician for 16 years and always try to fix it myself, if there is anything I can do to help I will. If they know it is such a big problem (and they do) Chrysler should should do something about it.

I'm on my 4th Chrysler mini-van and will not buy another at this point.

JM

Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM

JM,
If you buy from a quality seller on ebay, you might get a guarantee that the unit works. I have seen them for as little as $100 at times, $200 tops (some even new). Times have changed so who knows. I commend you on the repair as that is what I would have done. Maybe you can buy another broken one and use it parts to meak one whole unit. I did this with the REC navigation radio in my truck.

Could you have bent the fingers back straight? Are the spacers nyon or metal? can you get some replacement spacers (something close it) from a good hardware store?

I have seen repair places but they are just as much as buying another unit some times. Example.. they wanted $450 to repair my REC. I found a broken one (screen) for $25 and used the DVD drive out of it. The costs of the REC navs is about $500-600 used.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrfixit454
JM,
If you buy from a quality seller on ebay, you might get a guarantee that the unit works. I have seen them for as little as $100 at times, $200 tops (some even new). Times have changed so who knows. I commend you on the repair as that is what I would have done. Maybe you can buy another broken one and use it parts to meak one whole unit. I did this with the REC navigation radio in my truck.

Could you have bent the fingers back straight? Are the spacers nyon or metal? can you get some replacement spacers (something close it) from a good hardware store?

I have seen repair places but they are just as much as buying another unit some times. Example.. they wanted $450 to repair my REC. I found a broken one (screen) for $25 and used the DVD drive out of it. The costs of the REC navs is about $500-600 used.
No dice on e-bay or any other source I could think of. I found this place for repair:

http://www.hitechserv.com/electronic...udio-repair/69

I'm going to call around to some salvage yards but I doubt that will be inexpensive.

The spacers are specific and may not be the source but a symptom. The unit sounds as if it is trying to initialize several times before giving up and flashing the lights.

JM

Old 04-03-2010, 04:06 AM

Best option is just have your audio system reformatted and turned into ipod-ready. You will save in many ways a lot if you opt to digital music, instead of sticking to DVD.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 PM

JM,

Have you been able to watch it try to work with the cover off to see what it is trying to do?

If you get another one, you will 1st you need to know if you have the IR or RF system. A part# match with the ebay purchases would nail it but as long as you can determine which system you have, you should be able to find something

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Dis...fAudioQ5fVideo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dodge-Chrysler-6...item45f1e6c46c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...fAudioQ5fVideo

Way too many $$$
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...fAudioQ5fVideo

Single disc
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...fAudioQ5fVideo

These guys sell through Ebay LKQOnline. Check back with them weekly
http://stores.ebay.com/LKQonline

Last edited by mrfixit454; 04-03-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 6 dvd player compatibility and questions