Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

94 T & C weird elect. issue with EIC & radio

Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Default 94 T & C weird elect. issue with EIC & radio

I've been living with & working on this over a year, so bare with the details. I've also scanned all 114 pages of this forum and this is my 1st post. Anyway, I've never had any start or run issues. They may not be related but I have 2 problems.

1st was with orig. infinity radiopowering up when it wants to. I've even had occasions where the dig. clock worked but radio didn't and visa versa and more rarely, the radio will stay on with the power **** clicked off until I turn ign. key off. May be possessed, but I can live with that.

What I really need to fix is the issue with the electr. inst. cluster. The speedo and tach. never fails, but the 4 bar graphs (oil psi, fuel level, eng. temp. and batt. chg.) are stuck after going through the power up test seq. For instance, the fuel is one segment above 1/8th tank and incidentally, the fuel pump was replaced in 5/07. Also, the odometer (140K + mi.) is replaced by a steady blinking dot after about 1 min. of the ign. key on or eng. running. However, odometer will return (or keep working) if I turn on ext. or interior lights (Left POD, or open the door). The last thing to fail was the rear wiper. It failed about 30 deg. above full off position (washer pump still works)

I've had the EIC out and looked for cold solder but then learned how to do the self tests. Pulled a 920 CODE once but I think it is fine. I've had the BCM out and found evidence of high current on Pin 12 (Grn. wire) on BCM Blue connector C1. I think this is related to rear wiper failure, but the front wipers are fine, or are they controlled by Pin 11? I've also verified the 2.5 V CCD Bus on Pins 7 & 20 goes away when the blinking dot appears and have tried a used ECM (friend has) with no change. I have many pages from library Mitchell manual and their location of ground points are sometimes wrong and their BCM pinout was way off, but it is better than Haynes. I've had two episodes of dead battery in past week & I don't think anything was left on. I am going to check /disconnect the wires to never used trailer hitch. Maybe have intermittant short? I will then check voltages on BCM again. I may cut wires on Pins 11 & 12 mentioned above to see if wiper issue is related. I'd like to sell this, but I'm determined to figure it out and who would buy it if I don't. I hate taking to dealer, can't find used BCM and new is $632. I don't have the confidence the dealer has anyone that really knows this '94 and don't want to spend mucho $ to find out. Besides, so many BCM controlled things work fine. I still think something else is causing CCD bus to fail. Which scanner is correct for '94, the DRB or OBD?
Thanks for any advice.
JohnMc near INDY