Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Grand Voyager - binding disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Arrow 97 Grand Voyager - binding disc brakes

Hi, yesterday I changed the front brake pads on my 97 grand voyager 3.3 LE (I have done this several times before with no issue), but when I took it for a test run I noticed the front wheels were getting hot. This was not happening before the change of pads.

I could only imagine it was down to the new pads binding for some reason, so today I had another go at it:
-checked the pistons were moving ok, they may have been a bit tight so I pumped them out about 20mm and C clamped em back a few times.
-checked the caliper moved ok on the mounting bolts - seemed ok.
-cleaned and copper eased the edges where the pads and caliper meet the knuckle.
-discs (rotors?) look fine - slight wear but definetly servicable.

It may be a bit better now, but they are still getting hot.

When I watched the caliper piston as it was being pushed out by the brake pedal, I noticed that when it was not under any strain it appeared to return a mm or so when the brake pedal was released (as expected). But when it met with resistance (block of wood) it didn't appear to release as far when the pedal was released.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM

yep....

On your brake hoses.....Is the metal bracket that attatches to the strut.....wIth a flat bladed screwdriver...pry the bracket around the hose open a bit....And try it again...

If this corrects your issue...replace the hoses.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:44 AM

OK - not something I would have thought of, I will give it a go and let you know. Cheers

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 AM

OK - I tried releasing the hose clip, made it so that there was no pressure on the hose at all, but I still have my binding problem. The hoses did look distinctly thinner where they had been in the clip, but they expanded after a few brake presses.

Does this mean my hoses are weak and do need replacing ?
I can't remember them being replaced before so they are 14 years & 130k miles old.
Could they still be the cause of the binding problem ?

I am going to try putting the old pads back in to see if the problem goes away or not.
Any other suggestions to the cause of the problem are welcome !

Cheers

Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Put the old pads back - wheels still got hot (could hold hand on the centre part of wheel for about 5 secs), but no hotter than that. Did a 25 mile run on mixed roads and no problem - apart from the heat. Maybe that show it should be I haven't noticed it before - or maybe not !

Could any other voyager owners tell me if their front wheels naturally get hot ?