Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 T&C, no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Angry 97 T&C, no start

hi everyone i own a 97 T&C, we replaced the trans, ran fine for 3 months, it started stalling on me so i immediatly took it to auto zone and retreived 2 codes P1494 and P1495, 1 week later it just wont start, i had a mech look at it that apparently was certified with chrysler and he then told me it was the ignition switch or pcm, i dont why but i took the purge valve off and cleaned it out then the vehicle started right up, replaced that part and it drove for three days, then again ...just wont start only this time there are no dash lights-nothing, so i had another mech take a look, the shut down relay fell apart as he proceeded to check the relays, replaced that part, the vehicle ran for yesterday and this morning, and now we are back at square 1, no start, no lights, but there is a relay ticking, it sounds almost like a time bomb, its that parking relay, i am almost out of money due to all thae car parts as well as being done with the mech's that i have had look at it, can someone please help i am very frustrated.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 PM

both codes have to do with the evap canister system leak detection pump. this will have NOTHING to do with your staring issues. it's purely a coincidence that you did something and it worked. now what I'm totally guessing it the transmission service may have something to do with this random no start issue. the no start could be attributed to the crank sensor and wiring. if it wasn't adjusted properly or wiring/sensor was comprimised during the repair. as for the no lights etc. VERY commonly I find that problem related to the ground wiring. sometimes at the battery terminal and sometimes at the block. I have fixed many vans that a novice replaced the trans having the same symptoms as you or worse only to find the neg battery terminal bolt loose or only one of the ground wires attached at the dipstick tube or one/both of the ground wires at the dipstick tube damaged because the nut didn't come off and they kept cranking out the stud breaking wire strands as they go into the eyelet.

Again it is totally IMPOSSIBLE to GIVE an exact answer all I can do is GUESS what may be wrong and point you do a possible direction. I in no way shape or form can offer any gaurantee's to the accuracy of this assumption. it's up to you to perform rational, pragmatic and systematic diagnosis or hire a competent person to pinpoint and resolve this issue