Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

'97 T&C will not pass NC inspection

Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Question '97 T&C will not pass NC inspection

I am working on a '97 T&C 3.8L that will not pass inspection. Clear of P code. All readiness codes clear. Turn vehicle off and readiness codes reappear? Vehicle is out of inspection and single mom depends on the as only transportation. Any assistance appreciated.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

there is a software update done at the dealer that should take care of this issue

NO: 25-02-98
SUBJECT: I/M (Inspection Maintenance)Testing - OBD II "CARB"Readiness Monitor Information
DATE: Oct. 23, 1998
NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO NATURALLY ASPIRATED (NON-TURBO) GASOLINE ENGINES.

DISCUSSION:
Some states that require I/M inspections are beginning to include OBD II "CARB" Readiness as a prerequisite to an I/M test. OBD Readiness tells an I/M station if the OBD II systems have run their self test. Owners, in those states that use OBD Readiness, may be denied an I/M test if one or more of the Readiness monitors read "NO" or in other words the OBD II monitors have not run their tests.

It is important to understand that the MIL will not be illuminated because OBD Readiness reads "NO". MIL illumination happens when an actual malfunction or failure of a monitored emissions system occurs. It is possible to have MIL illumination for a detected failure while at the same time having a "NO" for an OBD Readiness monitor.

NOTE: MIL ILLUMINATION INDICATES ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS WITH THE VEHICLE. FURTHER DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE PROCEEDING FURTHER WITH THIS BULLETIN.

OBD Readiness that reads "NO" can be caused by the following: PCM reprogramming, PCM replacement, fault code erasure, battery disconnects and/or replacement. If any of the above items occur before an I/M test, a good chance exists that one or more of the monitors will read "NO" for OBD Readiness.

Some customers may be directed back to their dealers for assistance when an I/M test station has not allowed an I/M test due to Readiness status. The following procedures will help technicians efficiently run the Readiness tests so an owner can have their I/M test completed.

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 CH6000 Scan Tool (DRB IIIŽ)
1 CH7000/7001 J1962 Cable
1 CH7010 J1962 MMC Cable

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves operating the vehicle under specific parameters to run or complete the OBD monitors. The number of monitors applicable to a vehicle will vary by type of vehicle and emissions application. In addition, the parameters to run each monitor will vary.