Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Voyager SES and engine blip every 2 minutes exactly

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Default 97 Voyager SES and engine blip every 2 minutes exactly

Hi, I have a 97 UK Voyager owned from new and to date has been very reliable, now with 170k on the clock. Its a 3.3 petrol auto with professional LPG conversion about 50k ago.

But its just started showing a problem - which repeats every two minutes exactly from start up, whether idling or driving, hot or cold, on petrol & on gas, and it does it about 20 times (for about 40mins) then stops doing it for the rest of the journey. If you turn off the ignition and start up again then the problem kicks in again every two minutes etc etc.

The symptoms are that the engine briefly dies then recovers (unless cold and idling then it stalls) and the SES light comes up at the same time for just a second, and if driving the Speedo needle does a big dip as well.

It has a key dance code of 51 on it (indicates weak mixture or O2 sensor I believe), but I haven't been able to get the OBD code pulled yet.

I have searched the web and only found a couple of references to the same problem - on chryslers of similar age strangely - but no solutions apart from one where a dodgy sensor was the problem.

Anyone got any suggestions on solutions or diagnosing the issue ??
Yes - I will get the code pulled - its just awkard getting to the garage when its open !

Cheers