Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

AC Compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Default AC Compressor question

My air is not cold......but the refrigerant level is normal. When I turn the ac on the clutch engages with a click and the triangular piece sandwiched right next to the drive belt begins to turn. All seems normal however the outermost hub or wheel does not turn. I can turn it by hand with the engine stopped. Please see pics. The red pointer is on the hub that does not turn....and in the next pic the silver pointer is on the sandwiched item that does turn once the ac clicks on. Is the outer hub supposed to turn??? Do I have a clutch gone bad?

Thanks

ps....seems I can't post pics direct to forum but description should suffice to anyone who knows these compressors.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

how do u know u have enough freon? what year and engine size do u have?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 PM

it's a 2000 t&C with rear air/heat. 3.8 l. all wheel drive.
According to my guage on the low side I'm reading 45 psi. Actually I was reading much higher because I overcharged the system before I got a guaged hose thinking that I was low on refrigerant. After I hooked the guage up I noticed I was in the red (HIGH) for pressure so I bled off until I had the right pressure. Really just need to know about the compressor. The audible click is heard and the center item starts turning (what I think is the clutch) however the outermost hub does nothing. Should it turn with the clutch or should it always remain stationary. Going by the dealer to ask tomorrow to ask.......tooo hot here to wait.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 PM

Should also maybe mention.....I know it does not leak because it was waaay overcharged and it remained that way for some time till I got the guage and bled it off.
The ac wasn't run during the period of overcharge because it was just blowing ambient anyway.....so I don't suspect any damage was done from overcharge.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

ok this is why I ask this kinda questions if U only have 45 psi when the compressor is not running u don't have a full charge. The full charge part u are looking it is based off when its running and cooling down. From what U just said its not turning on so how can u measure the charge wen its not even coming on? When a system is at rest normal pressure is 100 lbs