Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Air Con compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Default Air Con compressor

I think the air con compressor on my 2007GV CRD is faulty (most likely through a long period of non-use)

The compressor clutch wouldn't engage, and the system was low on pressure, so the low pressure lockout switch stopped the clutch engaging.

I added some refrigerant, and then quickly jumpered the relay & the clutch engaged. When it engaged I noticed that the low side pressure didn't alter at all. On my previous voyager, the pressure would rise and fall when the compressor engaged/dis-engaged

I then added some more refrigerant, and refitted the relay. The clutch then automatically cut in the compressor when the A/C was selected, but again the low side pressure didn't change and it didn't blow cold air. Also when the clutch engaged, I couldn't see the rpm momentarily drop as the engine load increased... so maybe the clutch is shot ?.. I can see the center start to turn when it engages tho. That was last week, and it's stopped cutting in now, so maybe the pressure has dropped again.. I need to check when it stops raining :-)

Anyway, I can see that there are two different types of compressor listed for the CRD voyager.. Denso 10S20C and Denso 10S17C although people listing 2nd hand ones seem to say "fits voyager 2.5 & 2.8CRD 2001-2007.. but even on Ebay I've seen both types. They look identical ?

Anyone got 1st hand experience of swapping the compressor out ?

Thx

Mat

Old 01-12-2016, 09:59 AM
tfb

I haven't fully swapped out a compressor, but have changed the pulley on one. You can access it from below, 4 bolts hold it to the block and then there are just the 2 pipes and electrical connector.

No experience of the two part numbers though

Richard

Old 01-12-2016, 12:12 PM

Hi, when you say the pulley, you mean the clutch ???

If what was the fault on yours ?

Thx

Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM
tfb

The clutch plate on mine fell off.
The pulley assembly is in three parts, the electromagnet, the pulley and the clutch plate. The clutch plate is attached to the shaft of the compressor and the pulley rides on a bearing with the magnet behind it. The bolt holding the clutch plate to the shaft must have worked it's way loose on mine and then the clutch plate went rolling down the road.

Richard

Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 AM

Ah OK, different issue with mine then. I can see everything start to rotate when the clutch engages, but the pressure doesn't change and there's no load change on the engine.

Thx

Mat