Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Default Airbag light

Driving along in my voyager 2.5 crd 2002 and out of the blue the airbag light comes on with a chime.It stays on for about 20 seconds and then goes out again and then as i am driving it comes on again without the chime but at seemingly equal periods of time.I have checked the horn etc and works ok so not likely to be clockspring. I don't have a Haynes manual as yet and i would like to check connectors under the seats etc.What colour are they under the seats as there are black conns and yellow conns.I have heard that reconnecting these may reset the light.I am a bit worried about disconnecting the battery as to what it may affect.Thoughts please.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM

just a word of caution: don't touch anything airbag related unless you know what it is 100% you could deploy the airbag and best case just break a window, worst case kill yourself. I actually seen a tech deploy an airbag this way and he was a tech that was supposed to know what he was doing.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM

check the codes at autozone/orilley/napa etc... for free

Old 03-05-2014, 03:31 AM

Statistically, the most common cause of "airbag light on" is a blown squib in the seat belt pretensioner. The giveaway is that one belt anchorage is slightly shorter than the others. If pretensioners are used in the vehicle, there will be an electrical two-wire lead coming out of it measuring less than 10ohm. (2ohm is common).The micro. for the airbag system senses the <10ohm is o/c and flashes the tell-tale. The <10ohm is a tiny heat element that blows the squib, then goes o/c.
Squibs can be fired under emergency braking, not just on impact.
As I've said before many times, costs nothing and easy to check. Since the firing element is so low in resistance, common digital meters will not fire it, the measuring current is far too low.
There's another interesting post nearby about 'chafed' wiring in a seat causing airbag tell-tale light. Seats have a weight sensor in them. My Jag. used to cause me grief if I put a shopping bag on the passenger seat -- the micro. thought the seat belt should be fastened when there was no-one there.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 03-05-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Correction.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 PM

Hi
Can you check to see if there is an outstanding re-call on your air-bags--------my front sensors were putting the light on and I got them changed for free by Chrysler (in Norwich UK)------------well worth checking-----phone Chrysler UK with your VIN No., only takes seconds to check.-------------Thanks to a member on this forum member
Good luck
Nigel

Old 03-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Default Airbag light

Thanks guys i will check these options out.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:09 PM

I don't believe it !!!!!!!---------------------------------I put a lot into getting my light out last year-------now, just before the MOT is due the light has come on again-------AND the exhaust in knackered-----I have just bought a new battery-------if we didn't like the bl**dy car I would be tempted to drive it into a river---------but it will still be cheaper to fix than change so we will just keep pouring money into it
I hope you get yours sorted
Nigel

Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM
tfb

That's a pain in the bum!, want to pop over at some point and I'll have look at the airbag light for you again?

Regards
Richard

Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 AM

Hi Richard
I didn't want to take advantage of your generosity AGAIN -------maybe this time it will be a simple fix----------if sometime next week would work for you, let me know-----thanks
Nigel

Old 03-19-2014, 02:53 AM
tfb

Yep, should be OK for next week. When's good for you?

Regards
Richard

Quick Reply: Airbag light