Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm problem & battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM

IN US versions its on the right side panel when you open the rear hatch. You have to take the speaker out ,then the amp comes out trough the speaker hole however if you unplug the amp, I don't think you will get any sound at all.. depends how they wired it.

It seems like something is not telling the amp to turn off. Have you tried turning the radio off before shutting the car off, then checking for loads?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Drivers rear quarter it is.. thanks - but going to be a job and a half getting the thing out. Seeing it and actually getting it out are two different things!

Without jumping ahead of myself - assuming once ive unplugged it and re-run drain test, is it likely that the unit itself is faulty or more likely to be a wire fault somewhere bewtween radio and amp ?

Just wondered if this was a common problem with the amps ?

Will run drain test again switching off radio before switching off engine and see what happens before pulling the unit.

Dont suppose its as 'simple' as a software update ?????? My wife has just informed me the display was showing "perform service" the other day.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:57 AM

So you are saying it is a right hand drive vehicle? Maybe you should get a service manual so you don;t take the wrong side of the car apart. Plus.. maybe the overseas version puts the amp somewhere else?

Old 07-03-2010, 02:12 AM

Might be a stab in the dark but my car was suffering from a battery drain and it turned out to be the main ignition switch. It was not tunring off properly, Replaced the barrel and all good now.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM

it's in the same place as the US and you can just unplug the plug closed to the rear to test without removing the amp. Not that the amp is hard to change.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by markyb7
... meant to add - havent got Satnav - weve got CRD Limited with 6 cd changer and an aftermarket ceiling mounted DVD player.
how is that wired up? have you tried disconnecting that?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by glowplug
Might be a stab in the dark but my car was suffering from a battery drain and it turned out to be the main ignition switch. It was not tunring off properly, Replaced the barrel and all good now.

I was thinking this too after I posted last night. Maybe wiggle the key after off and you are pulling the .8 amps to see if it goes down to 0.0X amps

Old 07-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Arrow Update

Before amplifer disconnected was showing drain of 0.85

Pulled out 30A Central Amp fuse and drain drops to steady 0.03

Disconnected amplifier completely and drain with "fuse in" alternates every few seconds between 0.03 and 0.05 ?

Tried turning radio off before turning ignition off - no discernable difference.

Tried wiggling key in lock and learnt that turning key to accessory mode will blow the 10A fuse in my multimeter....

Didnt seem to make a difference but to be honest not sure how to lock car, let it settle for 30 mins and then wiggle key whilst watching the meter... Am sure theres an obvious way of doing this and im just being dim ?

Re central locking issue, have now re-checked and internal lock button does lock all doors. All doors lock from both key fobs. Multi-press on alarm results in a "beep" for the first time in weeks (cant be linked to disconnecting amp surely)

Central locking does not work by turning key in either drivers or passengers door. Not really bothered but should this work ? All doors open and lock mechanically with no probs.

Also noticed that Aircon/climate control now comes on when I start the car - even if it was turned off before removing key... poss link to dodgy barrel ?

Soooooooo... In summary:

1) Might it be worth me buying a second-hand amplifer.. theres one on ebay at moment for £105.00 - OR does the fluctuating drain indicate something else might be going on ?

2) If I get the barrel changed is this a DIY job or does in involve getting new keys cut etc ? If its a dealer job what might the £ be ????

Thanks for all your help guys...

Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 PM

I honestly think you have other issues if the climate controls coming on and it was off when you shut the car off.

Perhaps a power control module (PCM) but I don't know how you trouble shoot those.

For, the money you will spend on an amp, what does the dealer charge for diagnosis?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Barrel can be made up to fit old key and yes you can do it yourself. (not that I think this is your fault)
Does point to an amp fault BUT just need to rule out anything keeping the bus active like the DVD player. I was testing one the other day and car never went to sleep because I had the battery on charge and that stopped the car from going to sleep. (took my time to work that one out lol)
Your locks I think are normal.

Quick Reply: Alarm problem & battery drain