Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

All automatic gearbox lights on (2.8CRD 2005)

Old 09-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Default All automatic gearbox lights on (2.8CRD 2005)

It was going so well too, after doing a few mechanical repairs, this one has cropped up.
On my 2005 2.8CRD auto, all of the auto box lights were lit (P, R, N, D, 2, L). It did this after a 20 minute drive home in high (for the UK) temperatures 27oC so I had air con on, etc.
Got to the kids school and all was fine, turned off, picked them up (maybe 10 minutes) got back to car, started up and all lights went on.
(No dash sweep or any other electrical problem, just all the auto box lights being on). I then just moved the lever to reverse, they all went out apart from the R indicator (so all good), it reversed out of parking space. I moved the lever to Neutral and again all the lights came on. Moved it to D and they went out and just D was illuminated.
Driving back home it seemed to be shifting OK, was going through the box as normal (It's residential so up to 30mph max and slow over bumps, etc).
Pulled into the drive and shifted to Neutral and it was fine, just N lit, moved to park and again just P was lit, so whatever it was went away.

It had done this about a month ago just as I pulled into the drive and went into P, did it and then didn't do it again, so I dismissed it.

Any pointers? From what I've read it's most likely a bad earth onto the gearbox housing corroding, other than that any tips and suggestions on what to look at?

No engine management or warning light, should I do the key dance or would that not show auto gearbox stored codes?

Thanks fellas.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Actually, I think I might have figured it, a few more searches, etc and I'm going to bet on it being low/needing transmission fluid changing.
I've not changed it since I bought it (2yrs ago) and the van is on 113,000 miles and no idea if/when it's been changed before.

Checking the fluid level and at warm it was on the cold marker, it doesn't look too badly burnt, but it also doesn't look the best colour I've seen for auto transmission:

So I think I'll get the filter and fluid kit I've seen (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICE KIT (FILTER+FLUID) CHRYSLER VOYAGER 1996-2007 | eBay Mopar automatic transmission filter (FT1122) + gasket - ATF+4 Mopar fluid 5L) and get it done unless anyone can suggest otherwise or let me know if I've missed something?

Attached Thumbnails All automatic gearbox lights on (2.8CRD 2005)-imag0040.jpg  
Old 09-13-2016, 02:14 PM

Read of one car maybe other make, where the wires were trapped between auto changer housing and tunnel/mount of body...

Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 AM

Hi goggs,

Yeah I think I saw the same article about a trapped wire causing a ground short so the indicator display didn't know what position the selector was in which would add up to this, but it was so intermittent on mine (It's not done it again since the second time) it's made me curious.

Hence why i'm thinking it's more temperature of the fluid related, hot = thinner and not doing it's job as well, so all lights on a type of warning?
(I'm going to have a look at the grounding strap though as that might be a simple check/fix)
I think for the sake of under a hundred quid I'll do the fluid change anyway for peace of mind.
(It's been an expensive time this past 30 days though for it now!)

Old 09-14-2016, 06:11 PM

I have read on other forums that that can be caused by excessive ripple current generated by a bad alternator.

I know there are other threads where the PRND3L lights were the only symptom but the only thread I could find was this one: Odometer Mileage Increase in Park
Originally Posted by RonInVA

I had multiple symptoms caused by the alternator ripple. Here is a list of what I remember:
  • Speedometer would swing erratically while in low idle, even in Park. Sometimes it would end up on the opposite side of the peg, and I had to do a reset by holding the odometer trip-button in for 5 seconds.
  • P0700 code. Clearing code would sometimes help, other times no effect (code would pop up again as soon as vehicle was started).
  • Odometer changing without vehicle moving (maybe due to the erratic speedometer movement?).
  • Limp mode on occasion.
  • PRND3L would light up with all boxes around the lettering on occasion.
  • Reverse sometimes didn't work, or would shift abruptly.
  • Transmission would shift abruptly while coming to a slow stop.
  • Whining noise (I assumed transmission) on occasion.
  • When starting up after a gas refill, fuel gauge would read Empty.
  • Fuel economy was taking a hit.

Prior to finding out what the problem was, I changed the output speed sensor. No effect. So I researched the problem on the internet and found a few discussions with similar problems. I can post some links if you think it will help. The end result is that I suspected it was an electrical issue, and I had the alternator and battery checked. Battery was fine, but the alternator had excessive ripple. I removed the alternator field connection, and the van ran better than it had in several months. I replaced the alternator, and all of the above symptoms have been resolved.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:06 AM

Thanks George, maybe that's what I'd read in the past and dismissed it because I didn't have any of the other symptoms those guys had with their electrical being erratic.

Worth bearing in mind though.
I've bought the new ATF4, filter and will do that as it can't harm and I've been meaning to do it for a while.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 AM

∀ndy, did you narrow down probabilities on your 41TE ?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:01 AM

Hi QinteQ,
Not yet, since the weather hasn't worked out if it wants to be nice or nasty at the moment! Hoping for decent weather at the weekend, going to take a look at the tranny, try to find the earthing strap I see mentioned quite a bit first (easy).

I've also done a little parts darts, bought the autobox fluid and filter (genuine Mopar ATF4) so going to do that too (Peace of mind too, since I don't know if/when it's been done before) and I've got a long trip to EuroDisney in October so want to make sure we're in top shape.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:32 PM

There's never anything wrong with gearbox, antifreeze and brake fluid replacement. They stay neglected from the day they are bought new [until it hits the fan] in most cases. Wiring is unfortunately all wiring you can get to, especially data BUS & earth[s]. One oddball not to be ignored if out of ideas is alternator spike, or in your vocational language rectified AC disrupting the dataBUS.

If you want a free read 'n clear on your box - you know where I am Wednesdays. Best of luck lad.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:53 PM

Did the new oil cure the codes ∀ndy ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All automatic gearbox lights on (2.8CRD 2005)