Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all diesel drivers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Default For all diesel drivers.

Something has come up I think all diesel drivers should read and know about.
This is the "Honest John" website involved and makes perfect sense to me.

Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

There are some pretty horrendous economic factors involved with DPFs.
If a DPF becomes clogged beyond a certain percentage, in some cases replacement of the DPF is necessary. This may cost you thousands of pounds for some makes.

Clogging of DPFs is much more likely on cars used mainly on short journeys. This will activate the "regeneration cycle" on cars designed with "active regeneration" systems. This involves a special microprocessor function which uses post power injection (possible with common-rail systems) into the combustion chambers to heat up the exhaust. This should not take more than 15mins. Because some diesel gets down the cylinders into the sump oil, you should keep a close eye on the sump oil level. If this keeps rising on its own, you have a regeneration defect here, probably interrupted regen. cycles from short journeys. Makers are advising more frequent oil changes for this system

After big mileages, a DPF can be clogged with ash, not carbon; this cannot be burnt off. Very expensive replacement of the DPF is required here, making the cost advantages with diesel pointless. To make matters worse, it is now an MOT fail if the DPF has been removed. The MOT tester has to SEE that a DPF is present. He does not need to investigate further, and will not. It is still the case that the MOT tester only checks the particulates coming out of the tail pipe. Most unfortunately, it's possible that older high-mileage diesel cars could become an economic write-off if the DPF has to be replaced.

Some makes of diesel cars combine a catalyser and DPF into one unit. This unit is very expensive, but allows the carbon burn-off to happen at a lower than usual temp. It's just possible, but not very likey that diesel GVs are using this method. Chrysler's involvement with EGR and pollution goes back to the 1970s.

Disabling the EGR system will make exhaust gas temperatures somewhat higher, and the regeneration process perhaps less often, but a full in-depth read of Honest John's advice will make things clear.

Leedsman.

Addendum:
The following was found on a website devoted to Audi/VAG/VW diesel cars.

"Answer: On each
regeneration or attempted regeneration, a certain diesel fuel amount is
injected into the engine oil which reduces the oil life. If the "INSP"
light in the instrument cluster comes on, the engine oil is exhausted
and must be changed. Failure to do so could damage the engine".

Note that, once again, on a completely different engine maker, it is being said that a certain diesel fuel amount is injected into the engine oil which reduces the oil life.
This means if you have a DPF car or van it is vital you inspect the engine oil level frequently. If the engine seems to be making its own oil, there is cause for concern, and you should do something about it rightaway.

Last edited by Leedsman; 06-20-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Advice.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 PM

Obvious question...Can DPF'S be blocked off then, Mot tester wouldn't know the joint had no hole in it.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Obvious question...Can DPF'S be blocked off then, Mot tester wouldn't know the joint had no hole in it.
- not blocked, but bashed out [nicknamed 'rodding'] literally
- happens all the time, bad, stupid, costly rules are always 'worked around'

Old 06-17-2015, 03:13 PM

Goggs, I couldn't possibly comment...

Leedsman.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM

Bashed out...Happens all the time...Shhhhh...some other time...

Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 AM

Conveniently, or coincidentally, at the top if this page I see this link: DPF Removal and DPF Delete | Advanced Tuning | Engine Remapping £249

Name:  u3qOUYH.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  148.6 KB

Old 06-20-2015, 06:42 AM

The how

Old 06-20-2015, 07:16 AM

Thanks Q, but my soldering iron is a bit too big and clumsy to attempt anything like that. But I did like the soundtrack so I may use it in one of my future driving videos