Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another AC failure query - Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Default Another AC failure query - Compressor

Hi All,

Chrysler Grand Voyager, 2004, automatic, CRD 2.8 edition with climate control.

Not an expert on these things, so looking for some assistance before I shell out mega-cash on the dealerships.

Just found my air con wasn't working a couple of weeks back, so took it along to get re-gassed as had no prior history of this being carried out (bought the car last year). The garage said it had next to no gas in it, so recharged it and said to try it and see how I got on.

No difference, I can set the system to manual, air-con on (snowflake), put it down to LO and it just blows air through from outside, not cool.

So went back to garage, who gave it another go at re-gassing, and he then checked it over, and found that its not kicking the compressor in. Checked usual obvious stuff, connectors, fuse and relay, but still no luck, not kicking the compressor in.

Is this something I just need to take to the dealership, give them that info and wait for the eye-watering cost they'll charge me, or is there something else I can do/try first?

I suspect the air-con failed, then the previous owners sold the car, and with it not being running/out of gas for a while its ceased up, or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated, even if its the long walk to the dealership!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Hi everyone,

Just an update, I spent a while looking around this afternoon in the engine bay, and jumpered the relay to see if the A/C would kick in, so took the relay and fuse out.

Fuse checks out fine, as does the relay as I tested this with a 12v supply and used multi-meter to check it, contacts were fine and relay was fine.

I decided to bypass the relay with a cable, to see if the clutch/a/c came on, so started the engine, switched air con on (snowflake symbol) and put blowers on full. Still no a/c kicking in, and didn't even see/hear any extra force on the engine or anything.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Hi, the problem might be in your AC Compressor clutch or compressor itself.

Go under the car and take a look (do not let the engine run) if you can turn the compressor with your hand. If that's OK then compressor itself is probably OK. Take a look at the AC Clutch. If you turn it, does it make a noise or do you feel anything that shouldnt be there.

I had the same problem and it turned out that the clutch was broken.