Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have this light - or know what it is ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Default Anyone else have this light - or know what it is ?

Hi All,

After extensive reading of most of the Manuals I still cannot find anything clearly mentioned about this light....

I haven't got it on a web link so can't post a picture ... but

It's mounted on the black panel in FRONT (not on) the dashboard instruments.. It's a RED LED on a bezel and looks aftermarket but it's wired very nicely into the wiring loom... Very unlike an aftermarket item !!!.

It's constantly on even without any key in the vehicle.

When I do use the key to turn the ignition on the Airbag warning stays on as does the SKIM light and finally the check engine warning light. Suffice to say the starter does not crank.

I've pulled most of the dash apart and plan to remove the BCM and PCM to check connections. Also will look at the clockspring for the airbag but the horn works and the cruise control was fine before this. It looks like some alarm condition is permanently set but I cannot read any codes either. Oh yes - have also checked the IPM/Fuses etc and can get the engine to crank by manually activating the starter relay.

Any Ideas ..
Many Thanks Neil

Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 AM

That is the immobiliser light, I have learnt that in 36 hours of owning my voyager, and reading topics on here, can't give you any tips, I'm sure someone will tho
Darren

Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM

One would suppose you've done the hard reset (for the micros various) by disconnecting the battery -ve. for a few minutes? You may need the radio code to hand depending on the model possibly.

Leedsman.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 AM

Thanks Leedsman - Yep.. Have pulled the battery for 12 hours and even left the leads shorted to ensure any caps are discharged... It comes right back after puling in. Have the code as well so have reset the radio a few times. I'm now going through the wiring diags in the manual.

Darren.. Thanks. The thing is I have three alarm/Immob lights

1. The SKIM Key entry system (engine immob) on the dash
2. This LED which I now guess is from the RKE thatcham unit that seems to be installed into UK RHD cars only
3. Red light that flashes on top of the radio unit which I guess protects that.

The security is so good on these vehicles in even stops the owner with a valid key from driving it .. Awesome !!!

Regs Neil

Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM
ARB

Is it auto or manual. Could be the inihibitor switch on clutch or auto gear selector.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:36 AM

That inhibitor switch is a defo possibility, it was a very common one with my previous car, a diesel S-type Jag. Sometimes you had to bang the lever hard into park to get it to work. Have you checked if anyone has done personal modifications anywhere? Often these aren't done right and upset the multitude of micros.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 10-11-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Default sat nav disc

hi i have just bought a chrysler grand voyager 2.8 LX. 2008
With sat nav but no GB disc. Could any one please help....

Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks Leedsman and ARB..

It is a manual and I will check the switch but I believe the issue is the LED light which won't go out. I have traced the light using the wiring diags for the car and it is the Thatcham alarm fitted to UK only cars . Looking at the Sensors they seem to provide internal ultrasonic protection whereas the regular Vehicle Theft system only monitors the external doors etc. This was probably fitted for the UK insurance requirements...
Either way there are about 100 pages of electrical diags that I need to go though in order to try and trace the modules/connections to check out.

Neil

Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 PM
ARB

What year is it? My lights on the centre consule, UK spec

Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 PM

Hi Arb, it's a 2003 and today I found the front and rear ultrasonic sensors fitted on the front and rear pillars.. Just need to find where they hide the Thatcham unit now.. So far I've had the BCM apart and it looks fine - next I will try to multimeter the clock spring to see if that's causing the airbag light to come on as well.. I also modified the clutch switch to allow me to start it without having to push it down,.. Will check if my mod is ok on the wiring diags in morning.. Then it's pulling the front control module apart - determined to get this one sorted..!

Quick Reply: Anyone else have this light - or know what it is ?