Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Anyone know what this is and which is boost pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Default Anyone know what this is and which is boost pipe

While fiddling around I leaned on engine and these two small pipes snapped what are they? When I traced the pipes going towards the firewall I noticed it was already snapped there too. The pipes seem very brittle probably from the heat

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is and which is boost pipe-img_20160305_125431.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 02:29 PM

Which is the is the turbo boost pipe please. There is a video on youtube where the owner of aRange Rover diagnosed s split turbo boost pipe as the cause of black smoke

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is and which is boost pipe-img_20160305_130350.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 03:45 PM

For a simple explanation this is the EGR operating valve and one of the pipes goes to EGR and other to the passenger side of the firewall. Per You Tube someone screwed a self tapper into one of the valves ports to isolate the EGR then refitted the hose. Like vacuum brake systems you need sturdy pipe (for obvious reasons) plastic would do with short connecting rubber hose at ends. Was going to check my car for positions of pipes but its Snowing.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
For a simple explanation this is the EGR operating valve and one of the pipes goes to EGR and other to the passenger side of the firewall. Per You Tube someone screwed a self tapper into one of the valves ports to isolate the EGR then refitted the hose. Like vacuum brake systems you need sturdy pipe (for obvious reasons) plastic would do with short connecting rubber hose at ends. Was going to check my car for positions of pipes but its Snowing.
So what effects does having those two tubes broken have? Could ig account for my black smoke?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 AM

None operating EGR which sounds good but still need conformation whether the Vacuum is used to close or open the valve. Needing Vacuum to close it means EGR is open all the time and not good for air/fuel ratio on booting it so black smoke. Not too sure where turbo actuator gets it Vacuum as if its same place on firewall theres other problems....What valve operates the turbo actuator does anyone know, its not variable vane VW type, more wastegate I think...Get pipes replaced Darkcild I'll find out pipe locations on valve as it's not just an off/on valve it incorporates a dump valve...as mentioned òn here.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
None operating EGR which sounds good but still need conformation whether the Vacuum is used to close or open the valve. Needing Vacuum to close it means EGR is open all the time and not good for air/fuel ratio on booting it so black smoke. Not too sure where turbo actuator gets it Vacuum as if its same place on firewall theres other problems....What valve operates the turbo actuator does anyone know, its not variable vane VW type, more wastegate I think...Get pipes replaced Darkcild I'll find out pipe locations on valve as it's not just an off/on valve it incorporates a dump valve...as mentioned òn here.
Please find out for me. And also the proper names for the pipes so can order them. They go behind the engine and its a very tight space and will be a bugger to get at

Old 03-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Hi m8,

Take a look at
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...cracked-25680/

As I managed to damage one of mine too when I was changing the glow plugs. In the short term I used some heat-shrink cable 'pipe' to join them back up again and actually haven't noticed any ill effects from doing so.
I couldn't find them on any spares catalogue, parts list, workshop manuals, etc.

I'm planning on replacing the whole pipe as noticed the same as you that it's very brittle.
I found this from eBay Silicone Vacuum Hoses - Silicon Rubber Pipe Tube Vac Air Water Coolant Oil Turbo | eBay "Silicone Vacuum Hoses - Silicon Rubber Pipe Tube Vac Air Water Coolant Oil Turbo" that I think will do the trick, I've yet to fit it, but based on size of bore, diameter, etc, it looks like it will do the job. Not quite sure how to sort the ends yet, other than just push them on and perhaps a small o-ring clamp or similar to hold it in place.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Hi m8,

Take a look at
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...cracked-25680/

As I managed to damage one of mine too when I was changing the glow plugs. In the short term I used some heat-shrink cable 'pipe' to join them back up again and actually haven't noticed any ill effects from doing so.
I couldn't find them on any spares catalogue, parts list, workshop manuals, etc.

I'm planning on replacing the whole pipe as noticed the same as you that it's very brittle.
I found this from eBay Silicone Vacuum Hoses - Silicon Rubber Pipe Tube Vac Air Water Coolant Oil Turbo | eBay "Silicone Vacuum Hoses - Silicon Rubber Pipe Tube Vac Air Water Coolant Oil Turbo" that I think will do the trick, I've yet to fit it, but based on size of bore, diameter, etc, it looks like it will do the job. Not quite sure how to sort the ends yet, other than just push them on and perhaps a small o-ring clamp or similar to hold it in place.

Genius

Old 03-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Except I've just noticed the eBay link didn't include the size, etc! So not quite Genius ;-)

From my notes the pipe had 3mm inner and 4mm outer diameter and I put down 1metre length, but having got the pipe I'm not sure if 1 metre will be enough or if it's going to mean it's an awkward fit.
Do your own comparison/calculation when you get 5 minutes too, and we can compare notes! At the moment since mine is holding together I'm not as urgent to fix to be honest, especially because it's rather chilly outside at the moment, so my motivation for car tinkering is approximately 0.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:21 PM

Good findings Andy we are getting somewhere regarding these pipes. I've a feeling my pipe system and valve needs checking and EGR either needs cleaning out or blanking. A vacuum test on the system would be ideal and may find its loosing it in pipes or valve. Oh and I forgot to check pipe positions today...

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this is and which is boost pipe