Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Default Auto transmission problem

Hi all

Sorry to dive in with a cry for help but........

My 2004 Grand Voyager has a problem with the auto transmission and im stuck as to whats wrong.
First thing that happened was that the car, whilst driving at about 20mph, jumped out of gear and the revs jumped up and then it dropped back into gear. When accelerating the transmission wouldn't come out of 1st gear.

Stopped the car and started it again and all seemed well, apart from the engine light. Noticed an oil leak on and off so decided a garage should be found!
Took the car into the garage and they said the oil was low so replaced a gasket and off we went. All was fine for a while but after a few days the car wouldnt pull away when put into drive. It would rev for a few seconds and then drop into gear.
This happened a few times before we could get it back into the garage.
Still a nice little oil leak going on so guessing low oil again.
Turns out the oil was pretty much empty again so they changed the gasket again.
Great.

After a week or so the issue came back. Took it back to the garage and they said could be a crack etc etc. Wanted £500 just to check it!!
Took it to another garage who noticed that the cooling hose was loose.
Tightened this up, topped us up with oil and all seemed perfect for about 20 minutes. Drove around and no oil on the floor at all. Perfect!

However! When I drove home the engine light came on and the car seemed to try to stall and then it wouldnt leave 1st gear.
Stopped the car and started it and al was fine for a while but then there was a big rev and the car revved high with no transmission, dropped back into 1st gear and wouldnt come out again - engine light always on.

Checked the oil, cold and hot, and theres plenty in there.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
Could too much oil cause something like this? Or is is something more serious?

4 kids and an angry wife = me desperate to find a solution

Cheers in advance

Martin

Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

need the codes for the check engine light first

Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 AM
tfb

depending upon where you are in the country, I can read the codes for you.

I'm in Cambridgeshire, but travel to London most evenings and don't mind swinging a bit out of my way.

Regards
Richard

Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
depending upon where you are in the country, I can read the codes for you.

I'm in Cambridgeshire, but travel to London most evenings and don't mind swinging a bit out of my way.

Regards
Richard
Thank you Richard, much appreciated.
Unfortunately im right down near Bournemouth so it'd be more than a detour.

The garage who refitted the hose have said to drop it in to them and they'll take a look so i'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM

Hi guys,

Theres nothing worse than people asking for help, getting a result and not sharing it with those who have shown an interest. So here I am, sharing the outcome

Took the car to the Chrysler dealer and they came up with the following codes - i looked them up and i think the below details are right:

P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0733 - Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio
P0760 - Shift Solenoid C Malfunction
P0871 - Trans Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch “C” Circuit Range/Performance
P0944 - Loss of Prime
P1790 - Transmission Control Module Checksum

They checked the car over and found a ruined cable. Replaced (repaired?) it and no more poorly car! (apparently)

Picking it up tomorrow

Any thoughts on this at all ?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Any thoughts on this at all ?

No, because I've no idea, but I do read the forums and 90% of the time the first bit you can-do is wiring & connections.. does the below help ? Your post is appreciated.

P0732
P0733
P0760
P0871
P0944
P1790

Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Thumbs up

Fantastic thanks QinteQ!

Chrysler have sorted it.... and cleaned the beast!
With four messy kids it was in serious need of a clean too! Granted £250 is a lot for a car-wash but its job done and all is well

Also I found your post about the hens teeth from last year, which was very helpful indeed so thank you very much for that!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by martd
Fantastic thanks QinteQ!

Chrysler have sorted it.... and cleaned the beast!
With four messy kids it was in serious need of a clean too! Granted £250 is a lot for a car-wash but its job done and all is well

Also I found your post about the hens teeth from last year, which was very helpful indeed so thank you very much for that!
Welcome M8, wait till they grow up, you can make the little buggers clean it or they :

- get no McDonalds
- walk to their girlfriends in the cold
- make them buy their own batteries !
- etc

Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM

And the moral of the story? As I used to tell my apprentices, when diagnosing, go for the simple things first... It looked like an expensive problem, but really was just a piece of wire.
And the second moral? When you think you've found the problem, test it, better test it, then test it again next week...
Leedsman.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 AM

Martd, do you know approximately where were the damaged cables. I have P0733 and P1790 error, once the gear jumped out and the rev went high, then everything went back to normal. I would like to check out the cables.

Quick Reply: Auto transmission problem