Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Default Automatic transmission

Hi, I'm new here and just bougth myself a Grand Voyager SE 3,3 '96. What I've come to hear is that the transmission is not very good on the Voyager, is that true? I don't know much about the Voyager or cars at all so I have to ask

Old 05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Default RE: Automatic transmission

I also own a Voyager SE 96'. Had to replace the transmission once, but I suspect it had to do with a garage exchanging its ATF with Dexron. Other than that, the front wipers linkage twice, the underbody spare-wheel pulley once, the ceiling mat, and some front drivetrain suspension stuff. Paint is peeling now-a-days, but it's not bad for 11 years of toiling away.

Bought the V-east back when I was doing my specialty training, and its still around, a veritable workhorse. Great for carrying bikes, camping and bulky stuff. My wife usually leaves her spanking-new Galant GTS behind, and prefers to drive Ol'Voy. That should tell you something.

I'm also shamed to admit that the Voy was rather pleasant to drive, and I'm seriously considering buying another. Offers a lot for the money.

G'luck!

M

ORIGINAL: Rolly

Hi, I'm new here and just bougth myself a Grand Voyager SE 3,3 '96. What I've come to hear is that the transmission is not very good on the Voyager, is that true? I don't know much about the Voyager or cars at all so I have to ask

Old 05-08-2007, 02:49 AM

Thanks for the reply Celtan, if you're considering buying another I guess you're satisfied with it. I do enjoy driving it and I do like the good space it provides.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM

The problem can be helped by installing a stacked plate tranny oil cooler, the largest that will fit, in front of the radiator/evaporator. Also by changing the ATF+3 every 15K miles or ATF+4 every 30K. This was DC's fix starting in 2001, if memory serves. This corrects the overheating of tranny fluid problem that the 3ed gens have. Many of these tyranny's are going over 150K and still functioning with just fluid changes. Depending on fluid changes is still a crap shoot, and why you have the best chance, by installing a tranny cooler. Save your penneys for a re-build from DC as the tranny will fail at some point anyway.

NEVER PUT DEXRON (WITH/WITHOUT THE ADDITIVE) IN YOUR TRANSMISSION AS THIS IS KNOWN TO KILL IT.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the advice Webbee, I'll keep that in mind.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM

I'm faced with a dilema, i have lots of problems with my grand voyager '98, once the tranny, one the brakes, but now i find out that "Shell Donax TX" is infact based on the rather unpopular Dexron Series of fluids, which going by everything i have found on the interweb, will kill the transmission.

This i dont want to happen as ive only had the car for 4 months and cant afford a rebuild, how would i go about getting all the dexron out of the transmission? is this somthing i could do myself or will i have to pay an extortionate hourley fee to my local chrysler dealer ? (present company accepted)

Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM

I've got a 98 T&C with 210,000 miles on the original transmissions. No problems yet.