Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Automatic Transmission Leak 2004 GV

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 AM
Default Automatic Transmission Leak 2004 GV

Currently hit a dead end. Maybe someone can help.

My GV (auto) has been leaking transmission oil for a while.

First off I changed the oil, sump gasket and filter and afterthat I could see that the solenoid pack was leaking.

Also one of the drive shaft seals looked like it could beleaking. So changed them both, reasonably priced from the US.

Needless to say there is still a leak somewhere, dripsbetween the block and gearbox (when in gear). So im thinking maybe the torqueconvertor or shaft seal into the box. But that will require taking the gearbox out….

The strange thing is that transmission oil is collecting ontop of the box (at the rear) in the cast webbing. First off I thought that itmaybe have got there when filling, but I cleaned it all out and it has sincereappeared. I have also checked the power steering level and it hasn’t moved(since it also uses ATF+4).

Does anyway have an idea how the oil could be getting ontop?

Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 PM

The axle seals are very cheap and I replaced mine with the axles, they weren't leaking but I replaced them anyway.

My 06 has the pan and a side cover, when you remove them, replace the gaskets with quality rubber gaskets and not the **** the stores try and sell you. Don't over tighten the bolts either.

I've only ever seen the fluid up top from a leaking P/S system.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by silentdub
The axle seals are very cheap and I replaced mine with the axles, they weren't leaking but I replaced them anyway.

My 06 has the pan and a side cover, when you remove them, replace the gaskets with quality rubber gaskets and not the **** the stores try and sell you. Don't over tighten the bolts either.

I've only ever seen the fluid up top from a leaking P/S system.
I have a 2006 town & country and the drive axle seals are leaking. could you tell me how difficult it is to change there seals?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 AM

Topping up the box with fluid everyday wasn't an option. So I had the gearbox removed (garage suspected oil pump seal), turned out to be a little more serious!

There is a hole from the diff housing into the bell housing. So the oil was free to flow out of the diff onto the torque converter. Then whilst spinning, the torque convertor would flick the oil up to the top on the box, plus oil out of the bottom.

The is damage to the diff, which must of chipped and made the hole. But no sign of the metal anywhere. So second gearbox was found.
So my GV is back on the road :-) , but my wallet considerably lighter :-(

Attached Thumbnails Automatic Transmission Leak 2004 GV-photo-1.jpg   Automatic Transmission Leak 2004 GV-photo-2.jpg   Automatic Transmission Leak 2004 GV-photo-3.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 02:05 AM
tfb

Bugger!, glad you found the root cause though

Regards
Richard