Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatick transmition limb mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Default Automatick transmition limb mode

Hi I got a big issue with AT in my Chrysler voyager 2005 Limited 2.8 crd UK version
from when I bought this car almost 2 years ago.
When fault is appear gearbox is locking in 1st gear on the dashboard all the gears numbers
light up at once.
Speed arrow falls on the very bottom.
Reversing sensors and electric doors are stop working as well .

After being let down by several professionals including Isleworth Chrysler service employee i had to start investigating this fault by myself with little bit of help from my electronic experience background.

Following instructions consecutive mechanics I replaced input & output speed sensor, front control power module that was brand new, I check spare TC ECU , all relays were tested by the multimeter, earth has been checked checked and improved.
Fault is come and go with in different circumstances and without a specific cause.
only observed likelihood of is that in summer time and warm days its occurs much more often
I also find out that when fault has appear move wiring harness under the hood creates a momentary disappearance of the problem.

I suspect that one of the power cords from the gearbox is damaged and does not provide a correct voltage.

I need automatic transmission wiring diagram for this car

I look forward to read some constructive advice.

resigned but determined
Lukas

Old 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Нello. Most likely you do not work the control unit box-avtomat.On located above the left wheel under locker.Try swapping a known good.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:42 PM
tfb

if all the boxes are lit around the gear numbers on the dash, then that means that the Body Control Module (and ECU) can't talk to the gearbox ECU. Changing speed sensors wont make a difference to this kind of fault.

I'll dig out the wiring details for you tomorrow. First thing to check will be the power to the gearbox ECU, the the bus connection.

Regards
Richard

Old 01-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Thank you very much for quick response.
If you have any electrical diagrams for this model.
I'll be grateful for any of them
For someone without a mechanic background access to these materials is essentially zero
LS

helpful replay :
Automatick transmition limb mode - Fixya

Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 PM

Hmmm...Since you are having "weird" issues with other things like all the gear boxes lighting up, door locks and such not working, dash gauges not working right, you might have low voltage in your cars system due to a week battery not able to be fully charged up or a failing alternator. Any dash lights coming on? Not necessiarly just the battery light but others? Those are signs of low voltage in a car and transmission shifting odd and going into limp mode are signs of low voltage too.

You may have a bad Transmission Control Solenoid as they control gears 1 - 3.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM

Chrysler-c-bring has his finger on something here. Charging the battery and removing 12volt power to the vehicle will at the one and same time force a hard reset to all the micros, and bring the battery up to its proper voltage at least for a while. The substitution of a known good battery will also achieve the same. (BE sure the terminals of a subs. battery are on the same side, i.e. you aren't reversing polarity). This is a no-cost 1st. approach to a fix, but be sure to have the radio code to hand in case the radio requires it after reconnexion of the battery. Batteries and their charging/usage are a known problem with GVs.
Your digi-voltmeter should read 13.6volt across battery with engine running if standard charge-control is being used.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 01-05-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM
tfb

Gearbox drawings can be found here

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...=folder%2c.pdf

Regards
Richard

Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
Gearbox drawings can be found here

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...=folder%2c.pdf

Regards
Richard
- nice one Richard !

Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Default Victory

I ( think ) finally fixed that m*****f***** gearbox fault
Has passed two weeks since I figure it out what is actually wrong with it.
despite the very warm days and test runs in some heavy traffic (that used to be a perfect condition for fault to appear ) and successful family trip to country side.
I can finally clam a victory
After 2 years annoying failures unnecessary expenses and parts exchanging flowing dodgy and lazy mechanics (nr 7) hints it was down to me computer nerd to find out that it was only a broken wire.
After driving (only short distances) since past summer with all access to wiring open,
from the wheel arch to the engine bay and all possible wire exposed and this nuisance LIMB mode striking unexpectable frequently enough to render unpleasant any kind of trip including shopping in local supermarket.
But 2 weeks ago i get lucky on the way home from work LIMBMODE strike
us strong us ever, apart of normal symptoms when i push the brakes engine
start revs up and pushing car pulsed forward.
When I get home i when straight under the car and with running motor I start investigate (following weary useful advice) speed sensors wires with LIMBo going crazy on and off while moving various wires i pickup a wired short circuit kind of noise.
I stopped engine and fallowing verbal instruction from my missus (LIMB ON/OFF!!!!) I carry on digging under the car and then i release that the noise is coming from above me and it is clicking relay kind of noise .
And I FIND IT !!!!!!!!!!!
there is a wire coming from Front Control Module as a single wire and then is split one is going down to the engine bay and second is connected to relay which was freaking out with any slightly movement any part of wiring system.
This split wire on my case was tide up with isolation tape in U shape and instantly after i rip of this tape LIMB MODE dispirited but to make sure that is newer come back Im planing for the weekend operation "back on truck"
I want to cut off and replaced a broken wires and just in case investigate broken connection.
After that i add some pictures and colors of the faulty wire in case someone can benefit from my traumatic "do it yourself " experience

Quick Reply: Automatick transmition limb mode