Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang Crack from N/Side Rear End.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Default Bang Crack from N/Side Rear End.

Had this noise now and again over a few hundred miles. Then it happened twice today....Ahhhhhhhhh think I've got it....Lets operate....Jack, 19mm sock, allen sockets...Need to get back on job sorry....

Old 12-13-2014, 02:00 PM

In the past it sounded like something hitting under the nearside backend. Put it down to tyre lifting something off the road. Off course Handbrake is crap.
Removed top hat nearside rear disc expecting to find a mess and what fell out was a bent buckled shoe retaining pin. No sign of spring, it must have rubbed, collapsed and fell out. Shoe braking material a bit scored but I have new shoes. Drum face slightly scored but acceptable.
Looking into fitting 3 to 4mm machine screw through the back plate with a new spring and secured with lock nut, instead of one of these retainers as the back plate isn't up to holding wings on pin.
Alternative is to fit the normal shoe retaining pin, used on other cars that comes through from back of back plate, through shoe, spring, then secured by cup washer with slotted hole.
But ain't got any at mo so its the machine screw job..
Temp job as I need car on road.

Attached Thumbnails Bang Crack from N/Side Rear End.-chrysler-brake-pin-2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 AM

I wonder if that's the problem I have with my GV, except thatI would describe it as more of a rattle than a bang. I need to investigate but it'll waiti until the summer.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:30 PM

Did the job today by adding a dome allen head machine screw, washers either end and nylock nut at spring end, 4mm. Adjusted up adjuster and have actually got a handbrake on that wheel now. Offside still crap yet though.
Not quite the weather for the full job, infact I got a bit wet...
Need to make up a set of these machine screws and lock nuts to do them all as I have no faith in the pin type.
And due to space available on brake shoe, normal shoe pins, springs and recessed washers unlikely to fit.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 PM

That's good information. Thanks Goggsy.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Did the job today by adding a dome allen head machine screw, washers either end and nylock nut at spring end, 4mm. Adjusted up adjuster and have actually got a handbrake on that wheel now. Offside still crap yet though.
Not quite the weather for the full job, infact I got a bit wet...
Need to make up a set of these machine screws and lock nuts to do them all as I have no faith in the pin type.
And due to space available on brake shoe, normal shoe pins, springs and recessed washers unlikely to fit.
- not a good time to put pressure on you I know, but ;

Photo's and thoughts in context with the photo's would be helpful before you 'box it back up'. You now know that the [non-EPB] parking brake is a real issue on the GV and not just a couple of mad Yorkshiremen trying to improve its % efficiency, they're a pain in the bum to get even half right, aren't they ?
_______

Allow an element of 140kg for the driver, fuel, tools, etc, then ÷ the total brake effort achieved when the service brake is applied by the vehicle weight and then multiply the result by 100 = % efficiency.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 PM

I know QinteQ it's coming when weather gets better as I have still to do offside wheel which has no parking brake working at all, both cables, both shoes and disc/drums but nearside drum ok.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Oh may I mention that the quickest way I have found to working on rear end even on my crappy gravel driveway is:
Run car up onto ramps, I've got solid wood ones.
Chock front wheels and into gear.
Slacken rear wheel nuts.
Then underneath, one wheel at time, jack under either end of axle, axle stand it, lower jack on it and do same other side.
That's it up, wheels off, nice and dry underneath if its raining.