Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Big Question..What Battery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 AM

Related because it, the IPM will crop up within a couple of months, along with Leedsmans 'winterizing' tips. The disgrace that is the Intergrated Power Module [IPM]. That fusebox is not what it appears to be but is several 'layered' PCB's with pins stcking up through one or more PCB's into what you call the fusebox.

That box top / lid comes off and as you know, and all the fuses are numbered in the lid, the bottom of the IPM fusebox is connected to the loom at the bottom, that too easily comes apart exposing the IPM / loom connects with a plastic clip on the side near the wing.

Mucho dirt, verdigris, gunge and bad to poor connections can be found and easily cleaned under there - have a look.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:54 PM

Something to do before winter then...Will check out Optima Batteries as well.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM

- make double sure you disconnect the battery first !

Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Oh just checked the battery I'm using just now without any problems. Its a Bosch 6PN 62ah 600A...Seems a bit low in power compared with 96 model Batteries, but it works. Notice though there's room for a bigger battery in the tray with this one installed.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Ahhhh, here's one, a Bosch S5 780A 77ah Type 096 for £82.39 on special offer by well known car parts distributor. Not advertising note.
Now the only problem is Length, as it comes in at 278mm, whereas my one at moment is 240mm. Tray measures inside size 274mm.
Width and high is regulated at 175mm for clamp & high 190mm, so this big baby is just longer.
Would have to cutaway front wall of tray to fit.
Anyone think of a problem. My battery at mo I think is pos/neg wrong way round but cables stretched ok.

Grand Voyager LTD 2.5CRD 2003.

Last edited by goggs; 07-20-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Add car Info
Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 PM

From summer last year. ....... the whole thread is here. If anyone needs to make their eyes bleed while considering 'parasitic draw' its here.

To make mine fit I just 'chonked' the battery tray and fitted a big Bosch, here's the pics of the bits I cut off. Others had success with other types this thread covers most of it. The recommended 640CCA is a joke for the UK winters on a 3 litre compression engine, it needs to be nearer 800CCA. For myself what the trade calls a Merc spec or £70 bog standard lead-acid 800CCA taxi battery is just what the doctor ordered unfortunately they wont fit in the little kiddie-tray [care here - the 1 1/2" thick loom does not like being bent and pulled and is just under that tray] on these cars.

Your best bet goggsie is to ask any members to help by saying exactly what replacement alternative battery they fitted without having to cut the engine bay or extend the cables. You could also take Richies advice and put in an RTC4.2 AGM - they're a bit salty at £140 delivered, and only have a 24 month warranty which works out at £5.53 a month as the price paid for peace of mind.

Best of luck.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:56 AM

That's the Pestilance one I'm looking at, only 4mm longer than battery tray.
Bosch S5 Type 096 278x175x190mm.
But saying that I checked out a top battery supplier on internet and their quoting 2 Type 086 batteries for my Voyager 2.5CRD, and one is a 74ah Bosch.
So the battery suppliers are advising a lower spec battery for this car as you have said, but to go bigger, that they can't just slip in note, requires some work.
Life's a dream...

Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM

Bosch S3 Car Battery Type 096 would be :

Amp Hours (Ah): 70Ah
Cold Cranking Amp (CCA): 640cca
Length: 278mm; Width: 175mm; Height: 190mm

Bosch S4 Car Battery Type 075 would be :

Amp Hours (Ah): 60Ah
Cold Cranking Amp (CCA): 540cca
Length: 242mm; Width: 175mm; Height: 175mm

Bosch S5 Car Battery Type 096 would be :

Amp Hours (Ah): 77Ah
Cold Cranking Amp (CCA): 780cca
Length: 278mm; Width: 175mm; Height: 190mm

A Bosch S5 for example can be 66 Ah-, 74 Ah-, 88 Ah-, 90 Ah- and a 100 Ah-battery as a standard, if you look at the tech kit for the S5's and S6's you will see the different LxWxH and terminal positions in addition to for example the height & length of the 'lip clamp' I had to cut off mine to make it fit.

There is no workaround without a compromise. There are only three scenario's. If you want to be nearer 800CCA you are going to have to (1) cut bits from your engine bay and battery 'lip clamp'. (2) Fit a recommended 'correct physical size' battery and accept the lower performing CCA & Ah. (3) Fit a 'rolled' [not flat] plates battery such as a spiral which because the plates are rolled into a vertical spiral make it much [pro-rata] smaller all round including the footprint deliverer of 800+CCA albeit with a considerably lowered Ah [reduced cranking period] and a shorter warranted period.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Default What Battery...Bosch.

Well I got it in with minor adjustment to Battery tray and opening up mount holes in the front computer and its protective cover.
Battery is a Bosch S5 Type 096 with height and width same as old battery but length is 4mm longer than battery tray.
A leading car parts supplier is discounting these at mo so I was tempted and as my Motorhome was in need of a battery it gets old one.
See pictures as to old and new battery and new in place. Other pictures are available but usually have problem in putting them on.

Attached Thumbnails The Big Question..What Battery.-battery-1.jpg   The Big Question..What Battery.-battery-5.jpg   The Big Question..What Battery.-battery-bodge.jpg   The Big Question..What Battery.-battery-9.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Rest of pictures..
Notice the removable temperature sensor that has been mentioned on her that is positioned on tray base.

Attached Thumbnails The Big Question..What Battery.-battery-3.jpg   The Big Question..What Battery.-battery-8.jpg   The Big Question..What Battery.-battery-6.jpg  

Last edited by goggs; 07-29-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Adding extra description.

Quick Reply: The Big Question..What Battery.