Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blocked steering from time to time

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Default Blocked steering from time to time

Hello,

sorry for my English, I don't know the technical terms. But I have quite a big problem. My car is T&C 2006. And the problem is that few days ago I started the car, went like 500 meters, stopped at the main road, turned about 80% left and accelerated. Right after the steering was blocked, I stopped on the other side of the road and few seconds after it was fine.

I had to move on and nothing seemed wrong. So it was still raining a lot and after another 50 km (after careful driving and checking everything) I turned right to the gas station and when slowing down, the steering was again blocked and there was a white smoke from the engine part. Again, it started to behave fine after few seconds.

But... There is enough liquid for the steering, nothing visibly missing and still on the same line like when it filled up. So the theory that it is leaking on the engine and creates smoke is false here, probably...? Or not?

I put it to the servis, they have found nothing wrong, no leakage and the situation hasn't repeated. They need some more details why and when it happens. So I'm driving it back and forth to work few kilometers but I don't like the idea that in some turning it can get blocked again.

What is most probably broken? Where to look? What to fix?

Thanks a lot for help!

Old 09-23-2017, 04:15 AM

I experienced something similar lately..
Riding in heavy rain and through large puddles on the road I found that the power-steering stopped for a few seconds.. That felt scary!
It appeared that the garage mechanic had forgotten to re mount the shield under the engine, so probably it was due to splashing water on some part of the power steering? Or maybe water on the serpentine belt causing the belt to slip?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:04 AM

YES WET belt slipping , by age the serpentine belt or if it has multiple accessory drive belts SHOULD be replaced with new. MANY brands and models of cars will exhibit this condition when driving through standing water or heavy rains!