Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 AM

That's what I was suspecting. Is there a way to jump any of the connections on the back of the control unit to diagnose if that is bad?

Thanks for responding!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM

I've never tried it but you should be able to read a voltage on that control wire input at the controller from the control panel (dark blue/light blue wire). Just not sure what it's supposed to read. Any voltage proves it's continuity is good. Just to CYA you could measure the voltage output at the motor connector from the controller to double check the controller. The voltage should vary as you adjust the fan speed. If it does that would appear to prove the panel is good or bad too - more than one way to skin a cat so to say.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM

ok, awesome! Just to be sure, I would use a volt meter and connect the red lead to the green wire and the black lead to ground...correct?

Thanks for responding.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM

Here is what I did. I put the red lead on the green wire to the motor and the black lead on a bolt under the dash (that another ground was connected to) and pushed the power button on the climate control unit. The voltage was constant at ~11.5 volts regardless of where the fan speed **** was positioned. THEN, as I was tinkering the blower motor kicked on!! I adjusted the speed several times and power cycled the climate control unit several times and even started and stopped the van several times. The blower continued to operate through all of this!? As the blower fan was working I tested the voltage and as the fan speed increased, voltage decreased and vice versa. So, is this evidence that the climate control unit is faulty, or something else??

Thanks

Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Not quite clear. Is the fan now working just fine meaning it turns on when you want it at the speed you want or is it staying at the same speed (high??) all the time, even with the van off? If it's the latter that's a typical bad controller. Thing is you've gone through how many now? That leads me to think the blower motor is frying the controllers.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM

The fan worked at that time but the next day it was back to not working again. It was not at high all the time it was adjusting as I turned the ****. I have been through 3 blower controllers, but I am not sure if they were faulty or the climate control unit. I jumped the blower motor per your instructions in an earlier post and it ran so I assumed that it was good. I also assume that the blower controller is good since I have just replaced it. So is the only thing that could be not working correctly is the climate control unit?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM

Hasn't been any action on this thred for awhile, thought I would give an update. I recently replaced the climate control unit with no change in blower behavior :-(

to refresh, I have 02 T&C w/ auto temp control, this all started when one day the blower motor began working on high only, even with the climate control turned off. This is a common issue and I replaced the blower motor control module (some call this a resistor). This fixed the problem for a bit. After a few weeks I noticed that on long trips (greater than a couple hours) the blower would not work regardless of where the **** was set. This progressivly got worse and the blower would stop working on shorter trips (~30 min). Now it is at the point where the blower motor will not work at all 90% of the time. There is however, the very rare occasion when the blower will work great, but when the vehicle is turned off then started again (i.e. a quick stop at a gas station), the blower will not work after restarting. During these times when the blower works, when I turn it on there is a pause of a few seconds between the moment when I push the power button and moment when the blower begins running (not sure if this means anything). The rear blower starts immediatly after pushing the power button.

- I have replaced the blower motor control module a total of 3 times
- I recently replaced the climate control unit

I have not yet replaced the blower motor. I hot wired the blower motor following "raptor07" instructions and the motor worked immediatly so I assumed the blower was functioning properly. I jumped the wires using paper clips and they glowed red within 3-4 seconds. Does this indicate that the blower is drawing to many amps??

From reading posts on multiple forums and message boards it appears that there are only 3 components that could malfuntion causing this issue, climate control unit, blower motor control module, blower motor. The only part I have not yet replaced is the blower.

The rear blower has and continues to work great.

If anyone has suggestions or advice please post

Thanks

Old 02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

if u keep replacing the resistor then the motor is making it short out.
Or u could be getting cheap parts and cant handle the amps needed by the blow motor.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Although I have replaced the resistor 3 times, I am not certain that they were faulty. I replaced them because the problem hadn't been remedied yet and that part is more often than not the source of the problem. If you know how to test them with a volt meter please post a walk through and I will happily do it. I used jumpers to supply the blower with power directly and it worked so I have assumed that it was functioning properly. Can the blower be faulty and still work when supplied with power? Is there any other component that could cause this behavior? The three parts that are always referred to are the blower control module, climate control unit and blower. I feel like I am blindly throwing parts at this problem and nothing is working. It's hard for me to believe that I have a completely unique problem due to the number of posts on this and other forums regarding front blower problems.

thanks for responding.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Default Blower motor

If anyone needs a blower motor for a 2001 Town & Country, I have a unused new one. My problem was the ground wire on the blower module, not the blower.

The dealer does not accept electronic parts returns.

Quick Reply: blower motor