Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pipe end type

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Default brake pipe end type

Can someone tell me what are the size and type (e.g metric,unf,unc etc) of the brake pipe fittings on a 1999 grand voyager.

There are 2 different sizes at the rear ,one for left and a different size for right.

I need to make up replacements, the existing ends are knackered and my motorspares shop doesnt have any!

Oh and whats with the flexipipe built in to the fron to rear pipes.....surely they can be replaced with copper pipes?

Any advice appreciated.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 AM

I'm here for the very same reason, I too need to make up pipes but have been having difficulty in identifying the sizes. Some have said the fittings are all metric where others have said they are and combination of metric and UNF.

Either way, I don't want to pull it all apart until I have everything I need to put it back together.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:54 PM

How about getting some loose nuts/fittings of different threads and trying them in place.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:48 AM

Hi goggs, unfortunately, I'm self employed and this is my only vehicle so I'm in the position that if I remove them, which will damage the pipes, its off the road and I'm not working until it repaired. Now I've spoken to several parts dealers locally and they have all said that they cannot get hold of Chrysler pipe fitting, so I'm looking at purchasing them from a US part store, which I can do. I have friends in Virginia and they often ship parts for me but, I need to know what to order.

What I may end up doing is having to purchase original pipes from Chrysler UK. Ouch!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
Hi goggs, unfortunately, I'm self employed and this is my only vehicle so I'm in the position that if I remove them, which will damage the pipes, its off the road and I'm not working until it repaired. Now I've spoken to several parts dealers locally and they have all said that they cannot get hold of Chrysler pipe fitting, so I'm looking at purchasing them from a US part store, which I can do. I have friends in Virginia and they often ship parts for me but, I need to know what to order.

What I may end up doing is having to purchase original pipes from Chrysler UK. Ouch!
- in desperation buy the smallest 2" pipe only with ends from the main stealer
- then go get the roll of pipe / flaring kit / brake pipe fittings and bleed nipples elsewhere

Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 AM

Okay its been a while since I posted on this but eventually I have gotten into replace the metal brake pipes and have discovered that most off the male fitting appear to be 3/8 x24 UNF as are the bleed screws. As I work my way through, I'll add any additions I come across.

Just for reference I'm working on my 1998 Grand Voyager/Grand Caravan

Old 03-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Good to hear from you again...Keep up the posting...

Old 03-28-2014, 05:33 AM

Well just a quick update, I'm not sure if this is how Chrysler designed the system or my van has had after market parts fitted but there does appear to be some odd sizes on the pipe fittings. Now from the brake proportioning value it appears that there are 2 sizes of fitting, one is a 3/8 UNF which links to one wheel and the other is larger, I'm guessing its a 9/16 UNF and it goes to the other. This I assume is to separate the left and right hand side lines for the ABS operation.

However, the rear slave/wheel cylinder bleed screws are odd, one is a 3/8 UNF and the other is I think a 1/4 UNF. However, both cylinders look identical and to be about the same age, furthermore the pipes show no signs of ever being removed so I'm not sure is this is how Chrysler designed the system or if one cylinder has been replaced. Now I checked on the US Autozone website and they have the 3/8 listed for a 98 Grand Voyager/Caravan.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Cover your pipes and fitting in thick grease to stop further rot.
Goggs.