Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes mushy, poor stopping power

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Default Brakes mushy, poor stopping power

2005 T&C Touring 3.8 70,000

I have a braking problem on my T&C, though the dealer has said repeatedly that its in my head . (I took it to them 3 times within the lemon law period and they never fixed it). The brakes feel mushy to me; driving the van I just don't feel confident in the braking performance. I realize this is a big, heavy vehicle, but I'd think that it would be designed with adequate brakes. I drive this vehicle everyday, and on the off time I drive my wife's Escape I about put my head through the windshield the first few times I hit the brakes. I'm used to wresting with the brakes on the van.

I've pulled each wheel off and looked at the rotors and pads. The pads all have a lot of meat left on them, and the rotors don't have any significant ridges in them. The rotors do look 'smeared' though, like there are streaks of brake pad material burned on them. You can definitely see it, but you can't feel anything if you run you finger across it.

My next step is bleeding them, maybe change out the fluid while i'm at it. I guess I'm asking what expectations I should have for this van. Are the brakes just undersized or underperforming to begin with? Would it make sense to replace the pads and rotors with quality ones even though they don't look bad?

I'm trying to stay positive, but man, I'm having a lot of problems on a vehicle that I've only had since December!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think thats the thing U have only had it for a few months go test drive another one same year and see how it feels start by eliminating the simple stuff the van has not changed u were just introduced to it.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 PM

That isn't a bad idea. Someone who parks in the same lot at work has a T&C that's near identical to mine; I'm thinking about leaving a note on the windshield to find out who owns it. Maybe they would let me take it for a drive around the lot.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

or visit a used car place or dealer that has one

Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Hi Bluevolume

I'm on my third voyager, all diesel UK spec vehicles and I had the same feeling as you about the brakes, at best I would describe them as "Just about adequate". I've done over 300k miles in these Voyagers, so I suppose you ger used to them. Anyway, a few months ago I changed the front discs (rotors?) to EBC, and put EBC "Greenstuff" pads on the front and back (kept the rear discs, they weren't that bad) and the difference is quite amazing, I would say at least 20% better.
The brakes are now "reassuring", I don't notice them anymore, you just press the pedal and the van stops like you feel it should.
That's my experience hope it helps.

regards

ps. I am in no way connected to the EBC company!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 AM

Hi to all
I have a 2002 Grand Voyager Limited 3.3 auto UK spec and my brakes are great, I have only had the car 1 week, but if I press the pedal hard it stops perfect, My brother has a MG ZS which he has up all of the breaks and my Voyager can stop better than his. I dont know if this is right but I test drove a Grand Voyager with traction control and the brakes were very bad!! my voyager does NOT have traction control

Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 AM

I've not tried this on the Voyager, but years ago I had a performance motorbike. The brakes were very good, but even so, when I replaced the brake hoses with stainless braided hoses, the difference was amazing - maybe this would be a good upgrade. Personally, my brakes seem very good on my 2001 CRD - they felt mushy after I changed the brake disks, but soon firmed up.