Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Belt Slipped - advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Default Cam Belt Slipped - advice please...

Hi All,

During the recent cold snap here in the UK, I tried to start our 2.8 CRD 2006 GV.

It did not want to turn-over, but it did. It sounded bad, and I left it alone for a couple of weeks until the weather got better.

Trying to start it now, and it sounds awful.

I think the cam belt may have slipped, and I wonder if anyone knows what kind of damage will have been done.

A friend had a similar thing with a (petrol) Vauxhall years ago, and just replacing the belt was enough. It seems there was enough clearance between the valves and pistons.

So I have a few questions:

How do I tell if the belt has slipped?
What is the clearance like on these engines?
Is it worth fitting a new belt?
How easy is it to change the belt?

If not, this one will have to be sold for spares, and a new "bus" acquired...

~Trap

Old 03-26-2018, 03:19 PM

Don't know how to tell if the belt has slipped, but here's a thread from when mines snapped on my first GV.
I've linked to it because it appears a slipped belt does damage as well, and one poster says it's reasonably easy to get access.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...-damage-10979/

I put my costings on the thread, but spares prices have came down a lot since then.

Rockers and tappets are avaliable for £9.50 on Ebay (you'll need 8 if damage has been done), with a timing kit including water pump for £120. I was £185 for a water pump alone.
You can get a timing pin set (needed I think if it's a snapped belt, might be the same if it has slipped) for £18, and a puller, (which may well be needed as the injectors can be a pain to get out), can be bought for £140.
So possibly £400 for parts (including new rocker gasket) Or £260 if you can get your injectors out.

Here's another thread that suggests there's a fault code for a skipped timing belt.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...slipped-15297/

Here's how to do the key dance if you don't know already, courtesy of QinteQ

Originally Posted by QinteQ
The key is the below.

The dance is the timing [knack] between moves in milliseconds between the OFF and ON position. Brain in gear, patience, it works in milliseconds, practice. NOTE that the OFF is one clockwise from the LOCK position and the LOCK position is the only position from which you can withdraw or insert the key into the barrel.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:14 AM

@Scotsman4th thank you sir, I will investigate!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:58 AM

If you past 100000miles with out change the timing belt it's likely snap .

You need to loosen the belt cover and have a look (just on the top you might need to prye it to have a look) , don't try to start it again before you check the belt . or you will damage the rocker/valves .

It will take some work to get access to rocker arms . Injectors need to be pull to get the cover of .

Did this work a few years back got some pic. in my library on this site.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:00 AM
Old 03-27-2018, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the pics @dieselvoyager.

I know the belt is not broken. When I last turned the engine over, a friend watched the camshaft through the oil filler, and could see it turning.

I am sure therefore that the belt has slipped rather than broken.

What damage has been caused is still un-known.

I am currently doing all the research on this to find out what I need to know. So far I have learnt:

To replace the timing belt (if it is still timed correctly) is about a 3 hour job.
Timing Belt kit with tensioner and idle pulleys is £112 on
amazon amazon
. (The idler pulleys are held in place with LEFT hand thread bolts.)
The is a Diesel Engine setting kit on
amazon amazon
for £18
There is a set of lifters and rockers on
Amazon Amazon
for £140 ish.
The Rocker Cover Gasket is on Ebay for £28.

I can see how the kit can be used to KEEP the timing of the belt, but I am not sure how to SET the timing of the belt.

Assuming (usually bad idea to assume) that the timing is not a long way out, then I need to get the engine to 90° past TDC (so the crank can be locked). Then get the camshafts to their nearest registration hole for the tool kit to fit.

Is this right? Is there another way?

I am not sure if the rockers have been damaged. Would I be able to see this with an inspection camera down the oil-filler tube?

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 03-27-2018, 01:38 PM

This might help with the timing kit.

https://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/prodpdf/vs4945.pdf

Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 AM

The main problem is the waterpump , many forget to change this . Next owner also forget and the pump is 9 out of 10 times the root course .

The waterpump is a pain to change but it's mandatory in my opinion.

The timing is a little tricky course some of the timing is not top dead center so you realy need to read the timing instruction carefull.

There is a small plug there you can lock the camshafts with a small bolt(not normal bolt)
And there is hole behind the starter there you can lock the flyewheel but carefull there is 2 holes in the flyewheel depending on the timing point.

I bught the timing tools on ebay.co.uk "VM engine timing tool"

Old 03-28-2018, 03:38 AM

@deiselvoyager Did you get the one I linked above with 8 parts, or the one in @Scotsman4th's PDF with 6 parts?

Going with the Cam Belt Kit which includes the water pump is only going to increases costs by about £31, and is available on
Amazon Amazon
for £143.

I see from a Bulgarian video I watched (but did not understand a word of ) that this will increase the amount of time it will take to do the job considerably. But I think you are right @dieselvoyager, it is a must-do job while we are this deep.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:52 AM

mine is the 8 pcs. tool kit but the 6 pcs. kit will do the job.

3 lock pin and the spanner to belt tension roller.

The last job i did i had to remove the cam gear wheel course I was not sure it was allign propper after the accident and the cam wheels is not secure with a key so if you undue the cam wheel bolt you are f... if you don't have the lock pins.

I made a spanner to holde the cam wheel when loosing and mount the wheel again.

Also you might need to remove the whole camgear housing to change the waterpump.